AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Scaly Leg Mites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:37 am 

Hi All

Recently I just bought two Light Sussex Hens. Nice looking girls, my partner has picked up on Scaly Leg Mites.

They do seem to be fairly bad the poor things. The are dry, cracked, scales lifted and the little one has taken to pecking at them.

They are quarantined by themselves at the moment.

Would love to hear your remedies if any to help relieve my girls feet from pain. And also how to we clean the little coop once they are treated.

Cheers
BroodyHen

Post subject: Re: Scaly Leg Mites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:31 pm 

G'day Broodyhen, first up I'd paint your perches with something from your produce store or vet. Then it's time to get stuck into those mites under the scales , an old time remedy was to wash the legs with warm soapy water followed by an application of a sump oil/kero mix (10 to 1). unfortunately it's not a good look on light coloured breeds after a day or so. Instead you could use something as simple a vasaline or even olive oil to smother the little critters (mites). Or you could ask your vet if he/she has something that works more quickly and effectively.
I'm sure there will be more folk along soon to give you some other remedies on offer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:18 pm 

Thanks purefeather, ill give it ago, ive heard the little buggers can be persistant. Ill start right away onto the perch situation asap.

thanks again :)

Broodyhen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:45 pm 

Broodyhen , I forgot to add that depending on the severity of the mite infestation, you may have to repeat the treatment in a couple of weeks or so. Might be a good idea to do it anyway just to make sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:40 pm 

There a few old remedies but most are not 100% effective and usually very messy as is vaseline/white petroleum jelly which relies on smothering the mite.
I have found a mix of oil and Malathion works best.
Any flea or tick treatment that contains Malathion ie Malaban,Malatroy or Malawash is suitable, it will mix unlike other flea treatments in OIL or water.
You must have a fine grade oil like sewing machine oil , you can use vegetable or olive oil but these are not very fine in grade.
I use GOANNA oil, it is very fine and is a mixture of fragrant oils mixed with Malathion based flea treatment at tick strength, just dip the legs to the hocks or paint it on, does not soil the feathers or attract dust/dirt.
The use of a fine oil is as a carrier to get the Malathion down to the mites and kill them.
A follow up treatment as suggested is always a good idea and if nothing else makes sure the job is done.
If the infestation has been ongoing for a long time you could find after the crusting lifts the leg scales could be damaged permanently.
As a precaution I do all hens that are set naturally as a hen with scally legs is the most common source of infection to young chicks.
To clean the shedding is a good idea any good insecticide for the purpose should do the trick.
Treating any fowl you see that looks doubtfull is probably the best way to avoid the problem in future or treat every new addition as a matter of quarantine to avoid introducing it to a free flock once you get on top of the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:18 pm 

Thank you both for your suggestions :-D

We started the treatment, we used a mix of Veg oil/Kero and also a light brush to clean them out.

Feet are looking much better, just got to wait and see, hopefully not to much damage done to their scales.

They are also much happier hens!

Cheers
Broody

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:02 pm 

I have found 3 of my chicken have this leg mites so jumped on the computer and found here first up, so I will try your remedy, how long does it take to work and do I need to reapply often?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:41 am 

Hi araucanasliz

It is hard to tell whether you have actually rid them off the chicken. In our case the hens were pretty bad and the scales are quite damaged. We have been doing this for 3 weeks now, every 2nd to 4th day. As much as they look better and different, we still cant be 100% sure they have gone. Many people seem to say a few weeks - months, but the only sure way is to wait for the old scales to grow out, and the new ones come in.

We have also started applying them generouslly in vaseline. Not long after we started treatment we also cleaned the coop with an insecticide, to kill any that have fallen off.

Hope this helps and good luck

Cheers
BroodyHen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:19 pm 

Wow ok I thought I would only have to do it a couple of times so I am even happier I aksed now thank you

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:15 pm 

G'day Broodyhen, are you still treating your flock, if you are then I would suggest you ease up on the frequency of your treatment. Give it a rest for a week or so and observe, after all their scales are their armour. If their legs become too soft they may incur cuts and scrapes which could lead to infection. Just a thought.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 10Geese, 6 Ducks, 70%cocoa, 9 Ducks, ABC Poultry, Adam Smith, Adeiela, Akeet, Alex Cooper, alexanderpeafowl, AlligatorCrkHeritageBreed, Alpine Poultry, Amature Chookz, American Gamefowl, andrewschooks, Ann Meek, Appleton Australorps, arvoducks, Ash Maree, auctioneer, Avi Rare Breeds, Ayam Cemani, Backyard Chicken Chat, Backyard fowl, BaliDuckz, Bantam Rhode Island Red, Bantamenance, Barnywood, Baz Fitzgerald, beakybird, bearfred, BeatenEgg, Beaudesert Mandarins, bemba, Ben Newton, benalla park, Bendigo Poultry, Berryjj, BigDucksOz, BigQuackers, birds101, Birds4u, birdsrock, Birdz4u, Black Lories, blackdotte, blackleghorn, BlackSwan, Blackswan1, Blue Australorps, bluefirelady, Bob Brookes, BokBok2, Bonniedoo, Boolaroo, Booths Bantams, Boxwood, Brad M, brerrabbit, Brian Jack, BriansPeas, broken bird, BROOKES POULTRY, BT Homestead, BUBO, Buff Pekins, Buggsy, BushPig, ButtercupBreedGroup, BYC, byhookorchook, Cackles, caladenia, Caladenia Cottage, Calum H, Cammo Qld, CamsBantams, Carawatha Chickens, Cashmere, castaway chicken, cc's poultry, Cessnock Poultry, Chang Lee, Charmhaven Chooks, Cheesman Chooks, Chicken Unity, chicken-boy, Chicken07, chickenlittle, Chickens Mad, Chickhorn, Chook Lady, chookasaurus, chookgirl, chookiebum, ChookieG, ChookMamma, ChookMum, Chooks Galore, Chooks R Us, Chooks&Guineas, chookslife, chookyinoz, ChookzGallour, Christine Shaw, Chukar, Cliff Wyandotte Bantams, Clucky Henz, CluckyDeb, coastalchookies, Colac Sussex, ColacWaterfowl, Collector Peafowl, Connor Peafowl, cookie, Cordelia, Country Bird, CountryChookz, Cowhide, CrackerChook, Crash, Crescent Head Bantams, Daggy Guineas, Dan41, Daniel Lawton, Danny, Danny Brown, DARLING DOWNS PIGEONS, Darren James, darrssy, daviburn, David Simons, DavidGraham, Deb Thomas, debbilee, Denis, Desborough Birds, Dianne Carter, DillDale, Dodds Birds, DragonsDen, Dreaming Guineas, Ducks & Guineas, duckyfromoz, Duckz44, Eason Chooks, Easter Eggerz, Eat Chooks, Ecovald, eggnog, EggSellent, eggy, eugenia, Ewan Watkins, Exodus, Fancychooklady, Farmer Benji, FattyFarm, Feathers01, Feral Cheryl Silky's, Flash, Flightfeathers, FlockPheasants, fluff fur & feathers, FluffyBum Silkies, FowlMan, Fraggle, Frances Brahmas, Fraser Island, French Wheaten Maran, FrogLeap, Furze Chooks, Gaggle of Geese, Gails Guinea Fowl, Gamebreeder, Garth Lester, GavinGoose, geckodan, Georges Birds, Ginny, girlfriday, Glen Fowler, Gold Hornets, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Golden Macaws, Golden Pond, Golden West Waterfowl, Goodwin Ducks, Goran, Gosford Geese, Got GuineaFowl, Goulburn Heritage Poultry, grabby, gramps, GreenWest, Greg Clarke, Greg Davies, Groth, Grove_Guineas, GUINEA FOWL, guinea fowl galore, Guinea Fowl Troop, Guinea Gang, Guinea Love, Guinea Obsession, Guinea owner, guineafowl, GuineaHomer, Haggis, hairycanary, Hale Family, HAPPYHENS, Hardfeather, Hawkes, Healesville Arucana, heggie, Heidi F, Heijo, Helenchooks, Henny Penny, HillbillyGirlWA, Hyline Brown, Ian B, infoaddict, Isa Brown, Isachooks, Island Fowl, Ivan J, J Hicks, jaffa, James Willis, Jane Stewart, Janelle Marshall, Jane's Chooks, jap jumbo quails, jarryd, Jarryd Holmes, Jeff Duncan, Jen71, Jersey Giant, Jett, Jimboomba Poultry, JLockett, Jocon, John Cole, John Pike, johnstoneparksussex, JonksGuineas, jose, Josh Welsummers, jr, JRA, Judith King, Judy Appleton, Julie Hart, Kalimna Heritage Poultry, kardella poultry, Karlisa, Katy, KAZZA64, KellyP, KEMPSEY NAKED NECKS, Ken Johnstone, kezabel, Khaki_Ducks, Kin Kin Silkies, Kingscote Chickens, Kingsthorpe Fowl, klw, konopiste, KoopKing, kowie, KT, KTNQ, kyall3, LadyAmherst21, lanceview, Lavender Guinea Fowl, Lawnton Poultry, Lesley Thomson, Leslie Cooper, Lilly, Linda P, Linz, Lozzy, LozzyR, LueT, luvmychook, madrex, MamaPyjamaHens, MamasPyjamas, Mandy More, Mannie, Marek, Marengo Heritage Poultry, Margaret Stuart, Margie Goodwin, Margret Young, Mark Godwill, MaryJ, MaryJanet, Matt Burdon, Matt Hamo, Matt Knight, MattsGuineas, Mcginniss Fowl, meander, Melanie Y, MemoryLane, Michael Holmes, Michael Underwood, Milo, MinistryofDucks, Minorca&AndalusianStud, MinorcaCoop, mitchell07, MitchesMarans, Monique, Monto Poultry, MrPeabody, Mrpeewee, mrsgoose, Ms Frankie, Mulbring, mummaroo, Muzz Pheasants, mycoola, Myflockoblues, mysticviews, NanangoGuineaBoy, Natasha Moore, nathanael bantams, NellyG, Nel’s Pekins, NEP, NepeanBirds, New England Watefowl, NightMare, Noel Cox, Noosaville, NSW King Quails, NZ Guinea Fowl, NZ Pekin Queen, Oaklands, Oldmanrooster, Olivia N, ONE TREE HILL, Ozchook, ozflock, ozguineafowl, ozibirds, O'Connor Sumatras, P_Edwards, Pam, Partridge Brahma, Paul Clark, Peafowland, peamad, pearcey, Peel Waterfowl, PeepGuineafowl, Perth Pigeons, perthchooks, Peter Mead, Pheasant Man, Phil Thomas, PHILL, PingLee, Pitts_Poultry, pj hatchery, Podgie, PossumCorner, Poulsen, Poultry, Poultry Hoarder, Poultry Matters, Poultry mum, Poultry Rare Breeds, poultrynut, PrestigePeafowl, Pretty boy, Priens Fowl, prorooster, Prouten, Pure Poultry Images, QuailFarmer, QuailQueenGC, QuailTales, Quailz, Quamby Chickens, Rainbow Chickens, Rawlinson, realimagery, redeyekeet, redjohanna, Reeves Family, Rhiannan H, Rhode Red, Rick Bobby, Riverchase, RJJ Fowl, Rob Smith, Rocky Bobby, RockyRoos, Rod Taylor, Roger Parkin, Rohan, rollyard, Roma Runners, Rose, RossGuineaFowl, Roundyard, rowan1, ruff, rwood, Sandra Clarke, Sandra O'Neil, SantaClaws, satchell hens, Scots Grey Stud, seeing_spots, shairlyn, Sharni N, shayne, Shaza Rawlinson, Sheffield Pekins, Shelly Roberts, Shoalhaven Fowl, Show Silkie Stud, Silkie Pure breed, silver duckwing game, Smallflock, snowball, South Aust Rouen Ducks, SouthernDucks, SouthSussex, Sparky, splash laced Wyandotte, springcreek, Stark Waterfowls, Stelan, Stephen Richards, Steve Davies, Stewart Grant, Stuart Turner, Sue Clarke, Sue Hall, Sue ONeill, Sue Sheppard, Sue Wards, sue55, Sultans Stud Qld, Sumatra Stud AU, sunrise, Sussex Light, Sussex19, swiftwood pheasants, SwineoSam, SydneyOEG, T.A.S.S™ [Bot], TANYA, TazBarnies, The Barnyard, The Browns, The Chook Man, The Good Life, The Gotfeather, TheChookBlock, Tolmie Guinea Fowl, Tolmie Peafowl, Tolmie Pheasants, Tony & Linda, Toolern Vale Fowl, Tracey Lamb, Tracys Poultry Farm, Trany Naked Neck, Tribe of Honk, Tropic Poultry, Trott Park, Trout Runner, Turkey Man, Varley Pheasants, Vella Layer Hens, Vicki Joy, Victorian Waterfowl, Violet Town, Vivian Stephen, W Brown, WA GUINEA FOWL GUY, warmblood, Webbs Orpingtons, WendyT, Wheatley Silkies, white modern game, Whittlesea Poultry, whittls, wildman, Willow Park Poultry, winglet, wolfgang, Wombatbird, Wonderful Silkies, Wongarra Poultry, Wood Duck, WoodAviaries, WotTheFlock, Yeppoon Guinea Fowl, Yvette, Zanne and 5679814 guests