AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Growth on Clyde's eye
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:37 pm 

Petite Poulet wrote:
Always believe and have faith in miracles...

Good luck and best wishes Chicka-Dee!

I always keep the faith PP xx mwah thanks for the well wishes as I need all the luck from anyone who'll give it to me than657
Y.barnesy wrote:
Ok Update for you Chicka-Dee

I have just rung her and she was happy to help

Sigh of relief the growth (abscess ) is not life threating
This is a common prob chooks can some times get a abscess near one eye or the other

Clyde must have gotten some thing poked there
The hole and the first bit of crusty stuff was the start of drainage.
And it will drain on its own over a little time

The head shaking means that its annoying him a bit

One question that was asked was is he in pain with it?

If not just leave it alone

the only thing to do is watch and wash in plain water no salt for salt will affect the eye.

Hugs to you Chicka-Dee

Oh hugs, hugs & more hugs to you Yas than657

That is very good news. Thank your friend so much for me as it has made me feel so much better about not being brave enough to do anything to it.

I brought Clyde up to the laundry this morning as it had a layer of crusty stuff on it this morning (was going to post pics but I've had no time to do that today) & after I wet a couple of que tips to moisten the crusty stuff & got it off, the hole started to bleed. :(

I tried doing what Parvo suggested, with getting the lump between my thumb & forefinger to squeeze but every time I tried Clyde would shake his head or wriggle out of my arms. Definitely not a one man job. Hubby-Dee had already gone to work :(

He really is such a patient rooster with all the poking and prodding I've been doing to him lately, it amazes me how good he is.

He's not in pain I know that, just irritated by it when I am poking it and disturbing it, as when I was getting the crusty stuff off this morning he rubbed his eye on his wing.

Now that an interesting site; when a bird twists his neck in such a way that he can rub his eye on his wing. :lol: looks like a contortionist act.

Okay, so tomorrow I will give his eye a little bit of a wash as I'm sure it will be crusty again, which is understandable since he can't close it properly as the air would be causing a crust to develop any weeping coming out of the little hole.

Thank you again barnsey.

I love love love that I have been able to get so much help from everyone here on the forum.

Deeply appreciate all of your help Parvo, Yas & PP, your support has truly given me strength.

Cheers
Chicka-Dee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:47 pm 

parvo wrote:
Hi Chicka-Dee,
I totally understand your reluctance to do anything. It's not for the feint-hearted!
I don't agree with Yas's friend that it will drain on its own, unless it is very fresh. Once abscesses in birds are more than a few days old they tend to go hard and won't drain but need to be cut out.

Hi Yas,
Most eye flushes that are used to flush human and animal eyes are saline flushes ie they contain salt. You are correct that if the salt concentration is too high it will irritate the eye, but normal saline eye flushes from the chemist are fine.

Birds with painful eyes tend to squint a lot. If she isn't squinting then it's probably not sore.

Oh crap! There goes my euphoria :-?

No Clyde's not squinting, so not in pain then.

Okay so I will look at it again in the morning & see how it's travelling. I wish I got time to post those pics today as you would have been able to see the update :x just not enough hours in the day!

Parvo, If I attempt the "procedure" what should I put on the wound once the contents has been squeezed out? Also what happens if some is left behind, will it heal or will another lump form?

Sigh! :(

Chicka-Dee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:51 pm 

My chooks are part of our family. They have seemed to have replaced my near fully grown children who don't seem to need me any longer, so my heart goes out to you Chicka-Dee, Clyde no doubt is part of your family.

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all life is too short to be anything but happy."
Karl Marx, Composer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:46 am 

my pleasure Chicka-Dee

more crusty stuff and a little bleeding
that could be more of the drainage
Could the little bit of blood mean it could form a scab so this abscess or lump can heal and go away

I will be letting my friend know of any updates and showing her the pic's later in the week then keep you posted on any more info I get for you.

He is such a darling Rooster
Hugs to you and Clyde

One Sussex Cockerel and 15 Sussex pullets

Proudly I only use APF

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:44 am 

Hens and Hobbits wrote:
My chooks are part of our family. They have seemed to have replaced my near fully grown children who don't seem to need me any longer, so my heart goes out to you Chicka-Dee, Clyde no doubt is part of your family.

Thanks HH
Clyde is def part of my family. I have no children so my pets are a big part of my life.

Y.barnesy wrote:
my pleasure Chicka-Dee

more crusty stuff and a little bleeding
that could be more of the drainage
Could the little bit of blood mean it could form a scab so this abscess or lump can heal and go away

I will be letting my friend know of any updates and showing her the pic's later in the week then keep you posted on any more info I get for you.

He is such a darling Rooster
Hugs to you and Clyde

He is such a darling Rooster. He tried hiding from me in the hen house when I went into the pen this morning, so I hid underneath with Clara until he came back out & grabbed him. He def knew what was coming. :-D Bless him.

I have recruited a friend who use to work as a vet nurse while she was doing her Ag-Science degree so I'm hoping she can help. She said she'd come over with a Dissection kit, which apparently has a scalpel & forceps & other tools in it. :shock:

I tried holding Clyde's head still this morning so I could get his crusty's off & came to the realisation that this may require a third person. Hubby-Dee's not a real fan of blood & stuff so I'll probably have to give him the legs to hold :-D

I have more pics to post so I will get them up by this arv.

Thanks again for your help barnsey. xxx

Cheers
Chicka-Dee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:09 am 

I always love to help
And helping is what makes this forum or what I think of it as a club wounderful

I too have no kids (human) my chooks are a large part of my life too

How is Clara and Priscilla

Hugs to great Clyde

Clyde is also a total gentleman, seen a pic of Clara in another post of yours she's beautiful

Its good that a friend of yours is going to look at it
hugs dear

Proudly I only use APF

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:25 pm 

parvo wrote:
Try to hold the lump betweeen your thumb and forefinger. Use a sterile scalpel blade or similar & try to cut along the growth's surface, cutting deep enough to get inside. Obviously be very careful not to cut yourself!
If you can avoid the blood vessels, even better. Don't worry if it bleeds- it should stop reasonably quickly-apply some pressure with some gauze, tissues, whatever you have.
After cutting, try to squeeze out whatever you find inside. Try wiping it clean with cotton tips;it would also be worth flushing the wound with salty water or saline.

If you have some eye ointment handy you can then squeeze it over the wound.

If you are game to have a go then let us know how things turn out.

Good luck!

Hi Parvo, Hi Yas wave.gif

Well I had my friend come over this arv to conduct the 'surgery' on Clyde :shock: She brought over her dissection kit as well as a needle, a syringe & some saline to flush it out after. At first she didn't think it was going to be worth doing anything as she said it was really hard when she got her fingers on it & inspected its position in his eye & if it was attached to his eyeball or not, but then said she would have a go at trying to see what was in it, but was really unsure of what she would find.

So, she stuck a needle in where the hole was & it spurted out green/black blood which she said was a first for her to see, so obviously it is quite infected in there. She then drew up a heap of saline and flushed it out as much as she could before Clyde couldn't take it any more. She tried smelling the tissue to see if it stunk but she said their was no smell. Don't know if that means anything. :?:

My poor baby he was so brave. So we took a break for about 20 mins, and during this time the cavity of the abscess/growth filled backup with more blood.

What does this mean? If I keep pricking it to release the build up of blood will the cavity keep filling or will it eventually stop and go away?

Then we did the whole procedure all over again and amazingly enough we got some particles out, which I have taken a photo of & will post tomorrow so you can see what was in his wound. I think there might be more in there. It sort of looks like grass or something organic which has started to breakdown.

The wound has filled back up again after the second round, but it's more pink than black now & the big black dot is pretty much gone now, but will most likely be back tomorrow as I'm sure a scab or something will develop over night.

So, that's my update for now, but I just wanted to let you all know how it turned out & to ask that question about the refilling of the blood part.

Thanks for your help with all of this. And I have been passing on all those hugs to Clyde as he really needed them today.

Cheers
Chicka-Dee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:04 pm 

You and Clyde are so brave and so lucky to have a good friend to help out.

gluck.gif for a speedy and full recovery.

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:44 pm 

Well done to you and your friend Chicka-Dee,

You have definitely helped by lancing the lump and expressing the material.
Don't worry about the blood refilling the cavity- it will most likely be resorbed by the body over time.
The wound may look a little worse today & tomorrow but will eventually improve. If you have managed to express all the material then it should heal completely. If not, it should at least have improved.

Good on you for taking the plunge.

I hope Clyde appreciates your efforts !! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:09 am 

Well done for getting that stuff out of the lump
Is Clyde feeling better with it

Big hus to you and Clyde

Proudly I only use APF

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next