AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: oh no not another sick pekin- legs goin out to the side
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:50 am 

im not sure whats going on here with my chickens, but im nipping this in the but early, In my photo gallery you will see a lovely little pure white pekin ( wasnt told if it was a girl or a boy) anyway it cant seem to walk anymore, she tries to and her little legs slip away to the side ( like when you try and rollerskate for the first time) CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THIS IS AND WHAT TO DO , OR HAVE I LOST ANOTHER PEKIN.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:12 pm 
­
­

Hi Cammochick, Does she have any other symptoms, droopiness, paleness of the comb, diarrhea and occasionally blood in the droppings, if so then the most likely is Coccidiosis. If she has no other clinical symptoms such as above other than loss of legs, loss of body weight & sitting constantly, then it's likely to be Rickets. The following Topic link will give you details on diagnosis and how to rectify this. http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... cksaustral

Hope this helps & she is OK?

P.S We commented on your Pekin in the Gallery, It's a Pullet.

Thanks
P.A xmastree.gif xmastree.gif

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:52 pm 

ok. ive gone and read the bit on ricketts, id say thats what it is, shes always been a bit of a squatter , and hasnt grown much compared to the black one that we got at the same time, she does seem to be underweight, small, and very out of balance, almost like she falls head first, and her legs go to the side or stretch all the way back.. im going to try this vitamin d , do i just get it from a produce, also is there anything else i could use to fatten her up, she does eat and drink. but that bone that runs up her chest is stickn right out. Should i issolate her, cause she does have a special little friend, (i think he must be a boy, hes the black spotty pekin in my gallery) who snuggles with her and keeps her company, its like hes looking after her.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:53 am 

I would feed her high fat foods for 2-3 months so she can gain weight, bread is good for that, and soaked oats. You could soak the oats in your vitamin D mix, and then she would get both. I would leave her with the spotty pekin as her might fret :(

Jeff chicken.gif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:04 pm 
­
­

Hi Cammochick, Would have to agree with you in light of the additional info, that this is Rickets. You can purchase Vitamin D (Liquid) from most large Pet shops or Produce stores or Online. Her body weight will increase as she regains her legs & balance and begins feeding at the correct ratio. You can use products with higher % fat but look more at Protein levels, including Vitamin E. You can use small amounts of Bread products but don't over do it, she needs to regain strength & calcium levels first.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:41 am 

is the vitamin d they use for caged birds, the same as for chickens, i went to two produce barns today, and they sold it for caged birds, but didnt know if it could be used for chickens. Im going out of my brain, cant seem to find any good produce barns here on the goldcoast that still stuff for chickens........frustrating

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:32 am 
­
­

Hi Cammochick, Cathy made a few call for you this morning and found one place that has Calcivet in stock.

The Pet Barn
19 Hinkler Drv Nerang 4211 QLD
(07) 5578 2377

50ml $13.40
250ml $25.10

Cage bird products are usually to low dose rate, so you would have to double or triple the rate, Calcivet Liquid (by Vetafarm) or Calci “D” Liquid (by Virbac) are by far your best option

P.s The Pet Barn can get in most Poultry Products as there is a Vet Products distributor on the Gold Coast and they have Calci "D" Liquid

Complete Pet & Vet Supplies
2 Hovey Rd Yatala QLD 4207
ph: (07) 3382 4200
(They don't sell to the public)

Hope this helps

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:07 am 

A mix of Egg yolk, rolled oats, yoghurt and a squeeze of honey
feed it to her if she wont eat it herself....plain boiled mashed eggs will work well mixed with chick starter as long as she is still eating

try some electrolytes in her water too...spark by vetafarm is brilliant but when I have been out and had a sick bird i have used human sports drinks and they have also worked short term...

I have done battle with ricketts before and always had the birds improve on the above mixes....you need to keep her on a high protein diet for a few months so the symptoms dont return....

Heidi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:26 am 

thankyou, i will get that product from the pet barn. Today i got her some oats and she is drinking and eating still , . unfortunately last night i decided to bring her and her best mate the black pekin (in my photo gallery) inside because we had quite heavy windy rain, and i didnt want her to get any sicker,. But this morning i got my daughter to pop them back outside , and a few hours later , she went to check on her , and another chicken, or possibly a wild bird or duck(cause we get a lot) had pecked her severley in the head. SHE IS STILL ALIVE POOR LITTLE THING , now shes in the lounge room , ive left her mate still outside and will continue to check on him. As if she didnt have enough on her plate to start with, now shes got a bleeding head. I will try the above diet someone mentioned first thing in the morning, im determined to keep this little babe alive

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:27 pm 

my pekin is still alive, and is loving her food and water, but is still very off balance and falling all over the place.

Profile E-mail