AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: WHAT DO YOU FEED YOU BIRDS?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:10 pm 
­
­

IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO KNOW WHAT YOU FEED YOUR BIRDS AND HOW IT MAY DIFFER FROM STATE TO STATE.

DO YOU FEED YOUR BIRDS EVERY DAY?
WHAT TYPE OF GRAIN? OR SEED?
DO YOU USE CAT FOOD? OR SIMILAR?
GREENS?

LOOKFORWARD TO READING THE REPLIES!

THANKS
PEACOCKS AUSTRALIA :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: diet
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:16 pm 

I use turkey grower, scratch mix, and bread and lots of mealworms and grapes when they have young or are nesting.
The free range ones get lots of bugs, the entire vegie garden and they seem to eat lots of Kikuyu grass for some reason......
They also love dried dog food especially the ones with the spongy soft bits in them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:44 pm 
­
­

Hi Buggsy, We use Course Mixed Grain, Pigeon Mix, Grey Stripped Sunflower, Black Sunflower. We also use Cat Biscuits, Organic Lettuce, Silver beet (when in season) Tomatoes (when in season) & Bread we also use Black Light Fluoro's twice a week at night, in the Day pens area for Insects (got the idea from another web site).

We also use Turkey Grower for our chicks.

Our blues that roam the Property also eat kikuyu Grass particularly just prior to roosting?

Thanks

Peacocks Australia :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Feeding.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:14 pm 

Sorry but I never got around to repling to this question before but I feed as follows:-

Chooks--- Daily---Layers pellets,course grain mix,lucerne chaff,lettuce, cabbage leaf, spinach, bread and grit. Weekly--- mashed dog biscuits. Monthly--fine chopped onions and garlic, plus they all have days were they freerange in a paddock of grasses.When we have young in the brooders we feed a chick mash plus fine chopped lettuce and mashed boiled eggs.

Peafowl ----Course grain mix,sunflower lettuce cabbage and spinach leaf,lucerne chaff,cat biscuits,apples and pears when available,some bread,grit. Young are started on chick mash,turkey crumbles,fine chopped lettuce,mashed boiled eggs and meal worms.

Mandarin Ducks ----- As I'm new here let me know if I'm going wrong. Mashed layers pellets,course grain mix,small parrot seed,chopped lettuce,lucerne chaff,grit.

You really don't want to know what I feed my Sulphur crested Cockatoo---she thinks she's human and should be feed likewise,however on advise from the vet I have stopped her chocolate biscuits and she's not aloud any more beer. :!: :!: :!:

Snowball :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:51 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Chooks - Layer crumbles, Poultry mix (wheat, sunflower, corn, lupern etc etc), scraps and free range every day on 1 acre of irrigated grass.

Peacocks and Turkeys - Turkey grower, cat biscuits, pigeon mix and poultry mix. Greens and fruits added, as well as calcium suppliments when laying. They also free range over 4 days a week.

Pheasants - Turkey grower, poultry mix and any small parrot seed that falls on the ground.

Guineafowl - Layer ration and poultry mix.

Post subject: Sultanas
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:12 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

hello again , I feed Peafowl , 3 grain mix , powdered (not cracked) corn, which I hammermill myself to the desired size , wheat we grow ourselves, and catfood , I give them fresh lucerne (not chaffed) , and all of the offcuts from the vege garden spinach cabbage lettuce etc , Their favourite treat is sultanas Mmmmmm which they get every morning and I buy buy the kg (homebrand) , The lady I bought my original pair from in 2001 feeds hers dogfood soaked in water right through the winter as she says it keeps the condition on them . If you want your peafowl to be a freind for life feed them sultanas they love them .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:49 pm 

I have Chooks, Peafowl, Ducks and Geese.

All get fed daily and all free range to a certain extent (i.e have access to grassed areas.

I feed them all a poultry seed and pellet mix.

Occasionally I throw in some bread and other kitchen scraps.

That's it really....Simple but it seems to be adequate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:45 pm 

I was feeding my chickens a commercial scratch mix, however now get a feed mixed by a local breeder which contains white grains (probably wheat?) plus a few other things including lucerne meal. He doesn't put sorghum in it because it is not good for pekins??

Ours also free-range all day, not that we have much grass at the moment but they seem to find plenty to eat in the dirt.

They also get a few kitchen vegetable/fruit scraps.

During the recent bogong moth plague, my two baby silkies would wait at the gate each morning to be let out, follow me to the horse feed shed, and dart in as soon as I lifted the roller door to feast on the moths trapped in the shed! They worked this out all by themselves, and did it day after day while the moths were around. Funnily enough, the adult birds didn't follow their lead, and so missed out. I'm sure the youngsters had a good protein boost during those few weeks. :-D :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:31 am 
­
­

Hi Debbie, The white grains are probably, Wheat, Barley, Safflower, all very good for your birds. Sorghum (& Maize) in some commercial mixes is used solely as a "Filler" as it's very cheap, although some poultry will eat Sorghum.

Thanks
Peacocks Australia :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:33 pm 

my girls are on chick starter, small rations of millet seed, hulled oats, cracked wheat, cracked sorghym and a range of other various seeds, my specially grown weeds and i wil start them on layer pelletssoon with some scratch mix.

Peter

Profile E-mail