AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: HELP! my chicken has a broken Ankle!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:06 am 

Can someone please help me.

My son stood on his favorite pet chicken & it appears to now have a broken foot.

She seems quite alert & can stand up but she is not using that sore foot at all & it drags behind her. She is eating & drinking well but just can't move around very well. I have checked her leg & all seems good, just like the other one. Her foot is really swollen but dosn't seem to be sore to touch. If I put the foot in the right place under her she will try & hobble around but if she lays down & try's to get back up herself the foot ends up dragging behind her. My son is so upset that he was the won to stand on her & is begging me to fix her up.

Please help. I have read about strapping the leg & foot but with no pictures it is hard to know the correct way to do it. I don't want to hurt her anymore.

Thank you

Post subject: Re: HELP! my chicken has a broken Ankle!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:59 am 

No doubt others may have a different opinion but I'll offer mine up first.
I have never heard or seen a fowl with it's leg plastered if it is broken.
If you have examined it and can find no break, maybe it is just a soft tissue injury and severe bruising to be so swollen.
If she is eating and drinking she is well in herself.
I would isolate her away from other fowls so they do not torment her, keep her quiet and allow the injury to begin healing.
After a few days allow her access to exercise so she does not lose muscle and further complicate things.
She will rest and recover now and will begin to move around when she feels more able.
Mother Nature is a wonderful healer and she may recover with no ill effects.
If your son feels so bad encourage him to be the one to nurse her and attend to her needs of feed water and cleaning her coop, it could be a life changing experience to become close and attached and to take responsibility for her injuries, when you have animals and pets of any kind these things happen.
Good luck , hope all turns out well

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:51 pm 

In addition to Oaklands' excellent advice, if you do find a fracture then you have to decide whether the bird is salvagable or not, and whether you are going to take her to a vet.

These days I don't think it is acceptable to leave a bird with a broken leg to suffer. Pain relief is available to help during recovery and of course broken bones can be fixed but then it may become a cost issue.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:11 pm 

Any animal that is injured with a possible break must be taken to the vet for an assessment. From there you can make an informed decision about where to from there. Animals have a high threshold with pain, so if your chicken is lame she is in pain and suffering which is not acceptable. Get her to the vet asap. Let us know how you get on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:20 am 

one of our chooks was trampeled by our goat & its leg was broken we then got advice from a vet friend online who told us to emobolise her, so we straped its leg using a paddle pop stick as a splint to emobolise the hole leg, she was then spoilt rotten for 3 weeks in a cat carrier, after that we removed the paddle pop stick & placed her back outside with the others,she hobbled around on it for a couple of days but was able to put some waight on it , then after a week we couldnt tell it was even broken.
the only thing i whould do difrently is to wrap gause around the paddle pop stick & leg before tapeing it as itis hard to get the tape of there scales on there leg when removing the splint . apart from that it worked well

i hope this helps!!

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 10Geese, 70%cocoa, ABC Poultry, Adam Smith, Adeiela, Akeet, Alex Cooper, alexanderpeafowl, AlligatorCrkHeritageBreed, Alpine Poultry, Amature Chookz, andrewschooks, Appleton Australorps, arvoducks, Ash Maree, auctioneer, Avi Rare Breeds, Ayam Cemani, Backyard Chicken Chat, Backyard fowl, BaliDuckz, Bantam Rhode Island Red, Bantamenance, Barnywood, beakybird, bearfred, BeatenEgg, Beaudesert Mandarins, bemba, Ben Newton, benalla park, Bendigo Poultry, BigDucksOz, BigQuackers, birds101, Birds4u, birdsrock, Birdz4u, blackdotte, blackleghorn, BlackSwan, Blackswan1, Blue Australorps, bluefirelady, Bob Brookes, BokBok2, Boolaroo, Booths Bantams, Boxwood, Brad M, brerrabbit, Brian Jack, BriansPeas, broken bird, BROOKES POULTRY, BT Homestead, Buff Pekins, Buggsy, BushPig, ButtercupBreedGroup, BYC, byhookorchook, Cackles, caladenia, Caladenia Cottage, Calum H, Cammo Qld, CamsBantams, Carawatha Chickens, Cashmere, castaway chicken, cc's poultry, Charmhaven Chooks, Cheesman Chooks, Chicken Unity, chicken-boy, Chicken07, chickenlittle, Chickens Mad, Chickhorn, Chook Lady, chookasaurus, chookgirl, chookiebum, ChookieG, ChookMamma, ChookMum, Chooks Galore, Chooks R Us, chookslife, chookyinoz, Christine Shaw, Chukar, Cliff Wyandotte Bantams, CluckyDeb, coastalchookies, Colac Sussex, ColacWaterfowl, Collector Peafowl, Connor Peafowl, cookie, Cordelia, Country Bird, CountryChookz, Cowhide, CrackerChook, Crash, Daggy Guineas, Daniel Lawton, Danny, Danny Brown, darrssy, daviburn, Deb Thomas, debbilee, Denis, Desborough Birds, Dianne Carter, DillDale, Dodds Birds, DragonsDen, Dreaming Guineas, duckyfromoz, Duckz44, Eason Chooks, Eat Chooks, Ecovald, eggnog, EggSellent, eggy, eugenia, Fancychooklady, Farmer Benji, Feathers01, Flash, FlockPheasants, fluff fur & feathers, FluffyBum Silkies, FowlMan, Fraggle, Frances Brahmas, Fraser Island, FrogLeap, Furze Chooks, Gaggle of Geese, Gamebreeder, GavinGoose, geckodan, Ginny, girlfriday, Glen Fowler, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Golden Pond, Goodwin Ducks, Goran, Goulburn Heritage Poultry, grabby, GreenWest, Greg Davies, GUINEA FOWL, guinea fowl galore, Guinea owner, guineafowl, GuineaHomer, Haggis, hairycanary, HAPPYHENS, Hardfeather, Hawkes, heggie, Heidi F, Heijo, Helenchooks, Henny Penny, HillbillyGirlWA, Ian B, infoaddict, Isa Brown, Isachooks, Island Fowl, Ivan J, J Hicks, jaffa, Jane Stewart, Janelle Marshall, Jane's Chooks, jap jumbo quails, jarryd, Jeff Duncan, Jen71, Jersey Giant, Jimboomba Poultry, John Cole, John Pike, johnstoneparksussex, JonksGuineas, jose, Josh Welsummers, jr, JRA, Judith King, Judy Appleton, Julie Hart, Kalimna Heritage Poultry, kardella poultry, Karlisa, Katy, KAZZA64, KellyP, KEMPSEY NAKED NECKS, Ken Johnstone, kezabel, Khaki_Ducks, Kin Kin Silkies, Kingscote Chickens, klw, konopiste, KoopKing, kowie, KT, kyall3, LadyAmherst21, lanceview, Lawnton Poultry, Lesley Thomson, Leslie Cooper, Lilly, Linda P, Linz, Lozzy, LozzyR, LueT, luvmychook, madrex, MamasPyjamas, Mannie, Marek, Marengo Heritage Poultry, Margret Young, MaryJ, MaryJanet, Matt Knight, MattsGuineas, Mcginniss Fowl, meander, Melanie Y, MemoryLane, Milo, MinistryofDucks, Minorca&AndalusianStud, MinorcaCoop, mitchell07, MitchesMarans, Monique, Monto Poultry, MrPeabody, Mrpeewee, Ms Frankie, mummaroo, mycoola, Myflockoblues, mysticviews, NanangoGuineaBoy, NellyG, NEP, NepeanBirds, New England Watefowl, NightMare, Noel Cox, NSW King Quails, NZ Pekin Queen, Oaklands, Oldmanrooster, Olivia N, ONE TREE HILL, Ozchook, ozflock, ozguineafowl, ozibirds, O'Connor Sumatras, P_Edwards, Pam, Paul Clark, Peafowland, peamad, pearcey, PeepGuineafowl, Perth Pigeons, perthchooks, Peter Mead, Pheasant Man, Phil Thomas, PHILL, Pitts_Poultry, pj hatchery, Podgie, PossumCorner, Poulsen, Poultry, Poultry Hoarder, Poultry Matters, Poultry mum, Poultry Rare Breeds, poultrynut, PrestigePeafowl, Pretty boy, Priens Fowl, prorooster, Prouten, QuailFarmer, QuailQueenGC, QuailTales, Quailz, Quamby Chickens, Rainbow Chickens, Rawlinson, realimagery, redeyekeet, redjohanna, Reeves Family, Rhiannan H, Rhode Red, Rick Bobby, Ricky Bobby, RJJ Fowl, Rob Smith, Rod Taylor, Roger Parkin, rollyard, Roma Runners, Rose, Roundyard, ruff, rwood, Sandra Clarke, SantaClaws, Scots Grey Stud, seeing_spots, shairlyn, Sharni N, shayne, Shelly Roberts, silver duckwing game, Smallflock, snowball, South Aust Rouen Ducks, SouthernDucks, SouthSussex, Sparky, splash laced Wyandotte, springcreek, Stark Waterfowls, Stelan, Stephen Richards, Steve Davies, Stuart Turner, Sue Clarke, Sue Hall, Sue Sheppard, Sue Wards, sue55, Sumatra Stud AU, sunrise, Sussex19, swiftwood pheasants, SwineoSam, SydneyOEG, T.A.S.S™ [Bot], TANYA, TazBarnies, The Barnyard, The Browns, The Chook Man, The Good Life, The Gotfeather, TheChookBlock, Toolern Vale Fowl, Trany Naked Neck, Tribe of Honk, Tropic Poultry, Trott Park, Trout Runner, Turkey Man, Vella Layer Hens, Vicki Joy, Victorian Waterfowl, Violet Town, W Brown, warmblood, Webbs Orpingtons, WendyT, white modern game, Whittlesea Poultry, whittls, wildman, winglet, Wombatbird, Wonderful Silkies, Wongarra Poultry, Wood Duck, WotTheFlock, Yvette, Zanne and 5680013 guests