AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Lady Penelope & lung infection
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:17 pm 

Here I am again with the latest on Penny. She is still with us!! Rang the vet today to ask if a second course of antibiotic tablets would do any good, considering that I can see an improvement in her breathing. He was amazed that she was still alive. He really thought that she would not live beyond a few days from her last visit to him, which was on Saturday. Penny doesn't open her beak at all to breath for most of the day while she is standing up. Late afternoon she does open it a little or when she lays down on the ground. I discovered one of her nostrils was blocked with what appeared to be hardened mucus and managed to chip away the outer layer but there is still some blocking it. I don't want to hurt her or damage her nostril so will wait a few days more to see if it clears by itself, before taking her back to the vet to get him to do it. She now has a 10 day course of tablets starting today (he only gave me enough for 4 days before, because he really didn't think she would survive long enough to use any more). She is quite wobbly on her legs when walking but at least she is walking!!
Will keep you informed. I am not getting too excited just yet.
cheers
Janb

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:11 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Hi JanB,
Sorry I have not responded, I have been away this week very busy. I am sorry to hear about the peahen, she does not sound well at all. Is the vet a bird vet? Because unfortunately many other vets have no idea about birds and just guess at the problems. The white lumps in the throat sound suspicious. They could be infection pustules, or they may be related to some sort of fungal infection in the digestive tract. They could even be blackhead related, what do her droppings look like? If they are bright yellow or fluro any colour, then it is definately blackhead and you will need to treat with a special antibiotic, cant remember the name right now ill get back asap on that, still a slim chance of survival however. It masy be a respiratory tract infection like the vet says however and in that case it is possible that she is just not responding to the treatment and that is unfortunate. Hang in there and try to get her to eat and drink something as often as you can because she will need all the strength she can get. I will take a look through my disease and illness book for birds tonight and try to see if there is anything else I can suggest for you.
Good luck,
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:38 pm 

Hi Matt, thanks for your posted response. Penny's droppings are white but liquidy over the last few days. The vet has treated quite a few birds I believe and he does seem to be fairly knowledgeable about them. He has warned she may have a fungal infection and may not completely recover even if we manage to get her reasonably well.
Jan

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:56 am 

Good Morning all, I have some really sad news today. Penny was not standing up when I uncovered her pen this morning even though she appeared to rally a little yesterday. Most unusual for her not to be standing and waiting for me. She opened her eyes but stayed down on the straw. Just a few minutes ago when we checked on her again her head was flat on the ground and she had died. I'm feeling really sad at the moment but wanted to let you know her fight is over.
Janb

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:27 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

I am so sorry to hear this! I looked through lots of information but could not come to a conclusive answer. I do not know what could have caused it but I do know there were several possibilities. I hope you have better luck with the rest of your birds and do not give up hope now as these set backs are just minor when dealing with animals. Goodluck with the breeding season, it is almost upon us I should think, I have pheasants and turkeys laying already and looking forward to my first peacock eggs very soon!

Post subject: Urgent Help!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:46 pm 

Matt thanks for your response. I am still feeling a little bit lost without Penny because for the couple of weeks that I was treating her for her problem, whatever it was, I had almost a full time job checking on her, cutting up little bits of watermelon, lettuce and peach, giving her the tablets, covering her up at night and uncovering her in the morning. Now it is so different, my other birds are well and don't require very much in comparison. I have only the one breeding hen now, Piper who is in with Sir Percival. No eggs yet but lots of display and rattling by Percy. Poor Lord Snowdon is on his own still. The white hen I bought is too young to put in with him this year. Hopefully I can find him a mate before the season ends.
Janb

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:38 am 

Hi Jan,

I am so sorry to hear about Lady Penelope. I have been absent from the forum for quite a while and didn't realise the terrible time you have been experiencing. I wish you the best with Percy and Piper and know that you will rally on. My friend in Malmsbury did tell me of a person near Kyneton (I think) has many peafowl but not sure whether he is a "breeder". People near her have obtained pairs of peafowl from him. His name is Barry and he runs a B & B called Hoopwell Cottages (I think!). Anyway, that's the best we could come up with. I didn't send this information earlier as I had read on the forum that you had obtained Lady Penelope.
Best of luck Jan - I read your posts with interest
Helen (Rossluck)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:40 pm 

Helen, thank you for your response re Lady Penelope (Penny) and for the information regarding a possible source of a hen for Lord Snowdon (Snow) in Kyneton. I will chase Barry up as soon as possible. I am moving on a bit now, but every now and then I think "I must check on Penny" and then realise I don't need to do that anymore.
cheers
Jan

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:20 pm 
­
­

Hi Janb, sorry to read "Penny" lost her battle, we (bird lovers) always take a loss very hard, lets hope all goes well from here.

Thanks
Peacocks Australia :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:27 pm 

Thanks PA. I'm getting there!
Jan

Profile E-mail