AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: swelling on side of face below eye
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:28 pm 

Hi, I have a 12 week old pullet orpington pullet with a visible swelling below one eye. Both eyes are fine, no sign of infection. Pullet appears totally healthy, is active, eating well, droppings normal. Have been told it is a cyst. If so, what caused it and how do I treat it?
please help
kind regards
sandra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:23 pm 

Hi sandra, i'd be taking her to the vet. He can probably give you some anti biotics for it. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:41 pm 

Hi Sandra do something about it as quick as you can, I hope its not what we have just been through. We have just had to put down a coranation rooster we bought up from Vic, he came with a lump about the size of 1/2 a pea between the eye & beak. It just kept growing, I tried antibiotics from the vet it slowed it but once they where finished off it went again. I took him into the vet & he opened it up & took out what he decribed as solid pus, he came home with anti biotics but once again as soon as they where finished it would grow again. So $130. later, surgery & 3 lots of anti biotics the right side of his head was twice as big as it should be, no eye to be seen & he smelt rotton. The vet did say it was a infection in the sinus. I don't know how long the rooster had the lump before he arrived, but I would like to think if it had been treated by the previous owner it may have been fixable.

Post subject: pullet with swelling on side of face
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:08 pm 

Many thanks Lou and Darren for your replies. I have had three members of the Quirindi Poultry club have a look at her. One feels its a cyst of unknown origin, another thinks it may be an insect bite perhaps a spider. It feels like a fluid collection and she still appears totally healthy. I have been advised to start her on condies crystals or garlic powder to help healing. I purchased this pullet, plus three other black orpingtons siblings only a week or so ago and one pullet has already died of unknown causes and another friend purchased 6 others and one of his is sick too. My pullet that died appeared OK, no oblious injury but sat by herself, was not as active as the others did not appear to as hungry. Her droppings were a dryish yellow/.green.. The next day she looked about the same, no discharges, no coughing or stange noises. She looked unwell and fluffed up but moved away when you came near. When the four of them were huddled up i could see the sick pullets respirations but not the others, then she died. My friends blue pullet is also looking unwell and fluffed up. He has seperated her and is watching her closely. again, thanks for replying and any thought on what might be causeing these problems?
Sandra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:36 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Hi Sandra it sounds like CRD a fairly common disease in 'sick' poultry, Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD) is a common, chronic, lingering disease. Symptoms include a nasal discharge, coughing and sometimes a swollen sinus below the eye. Infection can occur via the egg or from bird to bird. Good hygiene and veterinary prescribed antibiotics can control the problem.
Their is a Sticky on CRD , but I would definately isolate her , and maybe even get rid of her , it spreads , and if other birds you and your freind have bought aren't well .. I wouldn't take any chances, Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:58 pm 
­
­

Hi Sandra, it certainly sounds like a sinus infection which has blocked the air track and caused pressure before the block below the eye. If you ask your Vet for "Baytril" and administer orally 0.2 to 0.3ml once a day for 3 -5 days this should help. Baytril is fast acting so you must continue the treatment even if there is a significant improvement in the first 24 hours. All your birds that have come into contact with the infected bird/s should also be treated and by the sounds of it so should your friends.

Good luck

Thanks
P.A :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:00 am 

Have you contacted the person you & your friend bought the birds from? You should let them know ASAP in case they are unaware of a problem & talk to them about what has happened. Depending on how long you have had the birds they may offer you a refund or replacements or give you some insight into the problem. Of course like I said it would depend on how long you have had the chooks & the seller may believe the problem is at your end, I'm not taking sides but let them know if you haven't already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:34 pm 

Hi to all. I typed up a longish reply earlier today and thought I had posted it onto this forum but cant see it, might have pressed the wrong button. Yes, I contacted the breeder by email yesterday and received a reply, she feels the swelling may be a sinus infection & suggests using Tylon. The latest news is that I phoned my friend to check on his sick blue pullet & she has died too. So out of the 10 we purchased, two have died and one has this swelling on her face, thou appears otherwise healthy.
Am becoming quite concerned.
kind regards
sandra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:56 pm 

I have just been thru this with some birds i bought at auction.
I lost 3 birds out of 11 i bought and now my silkies and japs are showing signs of the bloody thing :roll:
Im so dark about it too.
Contact your vet and get some antibiotics straight away as they can seem "ok" and then just go belly up in a matter of hours.
If it is CRD they will have a nasty stench around their mouths and beaks :-? and i mean its nasty!
Make sure you follow the vet instructions to the letter and remember DONT EAT THE EGGS for at least a week AFTER the medication as stopped.
Goodluck with the rest of your birds.
Cheers HH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:34 pm 

Hi. The other pullets and cockerals remain healthy and the swelling on the face appears to be settling too. None of them have the symptoms of respiratory disease and I have checked their breaths and no nasty odours, so far so good. My silkies and isa browns are fine. My 9 month old silkie pullet is mothering the plastic egg in the laying box & I am encouraging her to get out & about & not to even think about going broodie. She is absolutely delightful, a real charmer.
Thank you all heaps for your advice and help.
Have my fingers crossed that the worst is over and the others will remain healthy & happy
kind regards
sandra