AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Tapeworm in poultry
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:59 pm 

HI guys,

I was hoping some one could help here.

I have read everything I can about moxidectin, ivermectin, cydectin , Big L and nilverm, levamisole based wormers. It appears they do all worms but not tape worm in poultry.

I would like to do mine for tapeworm next time I worm and I can't find a product in poultry wormers that covers this.

Can anyone tell me a product that will do tapeworm in poulrty and where I can get it. I want to keep my guys as healthy as possible.

Last edited by County Lodge on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:31 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Hi Rosemarie as you know I use Sykes Big L , but I also alternate them with Cydectin , now I tried to do some "Cydectin" research for you last night , because all the worm names are in latin , and your right I don't think any of them are tapeworms but......
I am fairly confident as it does say All Gastrointestinal worms . I think it would kill them myself ,

I am imagining . That I havent told you much more than you allready know :lol: :lol: but it might spark some more reply's ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:13 am 

I have heard moxidectin does do it, cant say 100% tho, also the same with big L. Hope that helps a little.
I was told to use moxi by a reputable bird vet here in bris, he has never given me false info yet.
Maybe admin can clarrify.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:01 am 

HI guys,

I have research all the above wormers and none of them do tapeworm. Sykes Big L which is a levamisole based does not do tapeworm. The same with Nilverm which is also levamisole based. Cydectin and moxidectin do not do tapeworm but does do all other worms and biting parasites such as lice etc. Ivermectin does not do tapeworm but again it also does all the other worms plus the bitey parasites. I know this as I use it alternately with the horses and have to use something else for tapeworm in horses as well.

So far I have found that Moxidectin Plus does tapeworm but I can't find anyone who stocks it. I have also found Prazivet does tapeworm but I think it is a prescription drug and I think I can get that one from Knox bird clinic in Victoria but it will probably cost an arm and a leg from them. The other wormer I have found that does tapeworm in cattle and horses is Panacur 100 and goats and pigs Panacur 25.

As I use Cydectin (moxidectin) I have here for my cows and also use it on my chcoks this would indicate I could probably use Panacur on my chooks also. Does anyone have any idea what the dosage would be? Do you think the dosage would be the same as the cydectin and ivermectin. One drop for chicks and small bantam, 2 drops for large bantam or small chooks, 3 drops for large fowl and 4 drops for Larry.

I can not believe that something as simple as worming poultry for tapeworm can be so difficult to achieve.

Post subject: tape worm
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:03 pm 

the dose rate is 5 ml per litre of water i use it on my chooks and cage birds

Post subject: Re: tape worm
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:20 pm 

leghorn wrote:
the dose rate is 5 ml per litre of water i use it on my chooks and cage birds

Thanks leghorn for that. Do you use Panacur 100 or Panacur 25??

Post subject: tape worm
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:06 pm 

panacur 25

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:41 pm 

Thanks for that. That is really good as the 25 is a lot cheaper than the 100

Post subject: tapeworm
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:03 am 

Hi, This is a bit of an old topic now, but just in case anyone's still looking. This week I took my dog to the vet (pancreatitis unfortunately) but when there I noticed a bottle of moxidectin on the shelf. It had a green sticker attached to the bottle saying that another product (can't remember) had been added specifically for tapeworm as well. It looked like they had updated their mix to cover it. I bought the bottle and did my chookies. It's the first time I've seen that additive and I wonder if future products will have an altered mix. The mixture was whiter than the old moxidectin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:00 pm 

I did a couple of Google searches to see if I could find more info on any updated formula, but didn't find it...yet.

What I did find was details on Equimax. I've seen it on the shelf in the produce section at Plainland Hardware, so I know where to get it if it's suitable for chooks.

http://www.cyberhorse.net.au/virbac

It is a paste (I think) so could be added to a wet mash.

...and CountyLodge can use it for her horses, too.