AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Growth on Clyde's eye
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:37 am 

Friday afternoon I noticed Clyde had a growth under his eyelid, :(

I am very distressed about this and I did take him to a vet yesterday, but they aren't avian vets, so they said just to keep an eye on it (pun not intended) as it could be a bruise but they weren't 100% sure as they didn't want to take a cell sample due to it being so close to the eye.

Has anyone ever had one of their chickens have something like this before?

Parvo I would love your opinion on this :(

Also that little hole wasn't there Friday afternoon but it was yesterday and now this morning he has some crusty stuff stuck to the outside of the hole.

Chicka-Dee

Attachments:
Clyde's eye.jpg
Clyde's eye.jpg [ 136.2 KiB | Viewed 4358 times ]
Another Close up of the growth.jpg
Another Close up of the growth.jpg [ 117.98 KiB | Viewed 4345 times ]

Post subject: Re: Growth on Clyde's eye
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:51 am 

Chicka-Dee
have no idea but
Hugs to you and dear Clyde

One Sussex Cockerel and 15 Sussex pullets

Proudly I only use APF

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:32 pm 

Is it a bite?

A cyst?

An eye infection?

A peck gone infected?

Have you tried a saline wash on the eye?

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:52 pm 

Y.barnesy wrote:
Chicka-Dee
have no idea but
Hugs to you and dear Clyde

Thanks barnsey wave.gif xx
Petite Poulet wrote:
Is it a bite?

A cyst?

An eye infection?

A peck gone infected?

Have you tried a saline wash on the eye?

They do not know, but was hoping someone on the forum has had something similar with one of their babies (not that I would wish this on anyone).

If it was an infection the vet said his eye would be oozing clear or yellow stuff but its not so there is no infection and I don't want to put anything in his eye as I don't want to aggravate it in any way, plus you can't wash this thing out PP, it's attached to his eyeball. :(

I'm so worried about him. I really don't want to lose him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:53 pm 

Found this information on Eye Disorders of Poultry from the University of Florida

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps031

Good luck and get well soon Cylde!

One Very Sad and Very Lonely and Very Heartbroken French Wheaten Marans with the softest of feathers and fluffiest of bottoms...
One Australorp with the biggest of black eyes also very heartbroken with the death of her little Silkie buddy...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:56 pm 

Here is a PDF by the WA Department of Agriculture and Food

http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/impor ... ickens.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:21 pm 

Hi Chicka-Dee

It looks like either a cyst or an abscess, but the hole is interesting suggesting a puncture/bite wound?
Is it hard or soft?
If it is liquid then you could drain it with a needle & syringe...and a steady hand!!
If it is firm it may require lancing and pressure to express the contents. Then the area can be flushed with saline.
Let us know how it goes. Is the bird irritated by the growth/ Any sneezing?Head shaking?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:39 am 

I am feeling greatly worried about Clyde ( I am a natural worrier)

Feeling like I should ring some one I know and show her the pics and that you know Chicka-Dee
This other lady has had chooks in the past and knows a avian vet

Huge hugs Chicka-Dee and hugs to poor Clyde

One Sussex Cockerel and 15 Sussex pullets

Proudly I only use APF

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:40 am 

Thanks PP
All that info is very interesting, some of those pics were not good to look at while eating breakfast so I had to quickly get out of it before I chucked but will have a more comprehensive read one I've digested my food :-D

parvo wrote:
Hi Chicka-Dee

It looks like either a cyst or an abscess, but the hole is interesting suggesting a puncture/bite wound?
Is it hard or soft?
If it is liquid then you could drain it with a needle & syringe...and a steady hand!!
If it is firm it may require lancing and pressure to express the contents. Then the area can be flushed with saline.
Let us know how it goes. Is the bird irritated by the growth/ Any sneezing?Head shaking?

Thanks Parvo
The lump is softish, not squigy, a little bit firm, as in you can move it up & down.
My word :shock: lancing & applying pressure to express contents sounds rather hard to do. Can you do this while the animal in conscious?
Clyde has definitely been shaking his head. Not a lot, but he has been doing this, but no sneezing.

I'm about to go down & see him again to see how he/it is looking. I will post more photos if there has been any changes.

Thanks again Parvo

Y.barnesy wrote:
I am feeling greatly worried about Clyde ( I am a natural worrier)

Feeling like I should ring some one I know and show her the pics and that you know Chicka-Dee
This other lady has had chooks in the past and knows a avian vet

Huge hugs Chicka-Dee and hugs to poor Clyde

Any help is deeply appreciated barnsey. Happy to have your help. So please worry away. I won't be offended :-D
I'm taking your hug down to Clyde now.xx

Will report back again soon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:41 am 

Okay so here's an updated photo of Clydes eye this morning.

Upon closer inspection the lump is more firm than soft.

The little hole has gotten bigger but it only appears to be bigger on the membrane and not into the actual lump.

No oozing or discharge from it, and his eye seems to be fairly lubricated so it's not causing his eye to dry out any, even though he is unable to close his eye properly due to it pushing his eyelid up.

Parvo, would a chook this young be likely to get cancer? Or do you think it is more from a cause like a bite or a scratch or a grass seed that has gotten in an caused a flare up of some sort. The lump is browny/black so I'm not sure if that means there is blood pooling in behind there somehow.

Looking at the photo there is little blood vessels that run over it so I'm not sure what damage would be caused if i were to puncture it and try to extract any contents from it.

Could I just be doing more damage if I attempt this. Im scared witless to do this.

Is there any eye drops that could help?

Opinions are deeply appreciated and wanted here.........

Attachments:
Update on Clyde's eye.jpg
Update on Clyde's eye.jpg [ 113.13 KiB | Viewed 4307 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next