AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: PLEASE HELP-BIRD MITES!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:44 pm 

Hi,

We live in Brisbane are over run by bird mites. They are all through the house, in our beds, our hair and even the car.
We've had chickens for over two years now and have never experienced anything like this before. It's driving us crazy.
It all started when our two broody hens hatched their chicks. The kids spent a lot of time in the chook pen and chook house holding and watching the chicks. Soon after we all felt things crawling on us and it gets much worse at night. Also we have a lot of pigions hanging around the pen and we did buy fertilized eggs for our broody girls.
The chooks have been treated as has their house and pen including their nesting boxes. The dogs, cat and pet parrot have also been treated. We just can't seem to get rid of them out of the house. We got some coopex from a produce store and have been spraying a bit of it around but we are worried about it being toxic for our kids. Our youngest is 5 months old. Has anyone had any luck with neem oil?
Is there anything else we can do? We've had them for about two weeks now. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP-BIRD MITES!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:13 pm 

Sorry you have this must be so frustrating, try the pest bombs that go in the middle of the room you can them from the supermarket

I do know that mite have a short life cycle and weather plays a big part so sooner or later they will died out but I would keep up the treatment out side

gluck.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:24 pm 

welcomtogroup.gif aussiechickadee!

Here is the Material Safety Data Sheet Coopex which you may find helpful, it also explains any signs and symptoms to watch out for, if you concerned that anyone has been exposed.

http://www.bayeres.com.au/resources/upl ... 1422011093

My suggestion for mites in the house is to take all your linen and clothes, in all the rooms and wash them together. Vacuum the house thoroughly with a decent vacuum cleaner(some have filters which you can change after) and clean, dust and mop any uncarpeted areas. As Chickenpox mentioned some mites are influenced by weather. A dehumidifier or using air conditioning could help also in controlling them at this time.

If you find they are still hanging around you may have to use chemicals to control them, if its through your whole house you might be better off getting a pest control company to sort it out.

I also live in QLD and had similar problems until I completely covered the coop and run in wire. Just too many wild birds that come in for a free feed and pass on their lice,mites and parasites.

Hope you get it sorted out! gluck.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:06 am 

Use the mortein bombs in each room then vacuum well the bombs are permethrin so natural and safe but FOLLOW THE LABEL!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:07 am 

TP Member: Yes
Yep go the bombs they work real good on all little critters gluck.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:09 am 

I would do the same and all at the same time so bomb the house and then retreat all the birds it should get rid of them

gluck.gif and all the best

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:10 am 

I agree with all above and I wish you luck and a speedy removal of the mites

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:15 am 

Yes I would also try the pest bombs and yes follow the use instructions I think its your best option. I hope you rid them quickly, good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:37 am 

Yep bomb the buggers :lol:
gluck.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:39 am 

Oh yuk I hate those creepy little blood sucker things yuk

I hope you kill them all I have my fingers crossed