AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Help - chick with splayed legs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:01 pm 

Hi everyone,

Good news is our first pekin chicks hatched today (two from the incubator and two from the hen) - they are all so cute! :-D :-D :-D

However, one of the chicks from the incubator has splayed legs. :( The other chick from the incubator is fine. The chick is about 12 hours old - should I wait a while to see how it seems later on, or do you need to act really early to have a chance of straightening it out?

I searched the forum before asking the question, and found a reference to some "hobbles" that PA suggested, but couldn't find the original post with instructions on what to do and when.

Can someone please help me out?

Many thanks.
Deb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:23 am 

Hi there,
Some people bandaid the legs together,i found this quiet hard...

I have just been putting the splayed leged ones in a seperate brooder with an old towel on the floor so they can grip....seems to be working a treat... :)

Kai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:08 pm 
­
­

Hi Deb, the following link should help
http://www.peacocksaustralia.com/CROOKE ... 0LEGS.HTML

We will place the Info on the Forum, we thought it was already here but not!

Thanks
Peacocks Australia :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:39 pm 

Thanks again Kai & PA! I have just come home from work and will put a towel in the brooder now (they've just had barley straw).

PA I don't have any medical tape - does the pipe cleaner do the same trick (or a band-aid)? The chick is about 36 hours old now.

If it will live a happy, comfortable life it doesn't matter if it doesn't have straight legs as we just won't breed from it or try to show it - what is your experience regarding the quality of life of chicks with mild splaying that have just been left alone?

I am just finding out how many things can go wrong with the humble chicken - and they all seem devastating when each baby is a pet!

Thanks so much for your help!

(I hope to post some photos tomorrow) :-D :-D :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:05 pm 
­
­

Hi Deb, you can use clear or white (Thin) sticky tape, (not coloured as the chick will be picked on) just make sure no sticky parts are exposed. If the splayed is severe, that is the legs are straight out each side then you must use the "Splayed Brace" as soon as possible, time is critical (the first 24-48 maximum) If the splayed is mild that is they are just off centre then they can correct themselves provided they have good grip to the floor. We use the Brace in either circumstance, as it corrects the problem very quickly and the chick has a far better chance of survival. It is very easy to apply the Brace and once you have done one, it will be second nature.

Don't worry deb, this is a common problem that ALL breeders will experience but it is easily corrected.

If you need any more help, let us know.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:07 pm 
­
­

P.s Look forward to seeing the Photos, if you use the "Brace" we can view your work :lol: :lol:

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:53 pm 

Thanks PA. I'll have a go!!! I will put the towel in for grip, and also try the sticky tape........................... Okay, an hour later and the job is done, and I'm about to post some photos (couldn't get my computer to upload my photos from the camera card!!!!!!! :x :x )

Let me know how the brace looks. I think I had it a bit close together at first because the chick couldn't walk and was very distressed - kept falling over and getting trampled! I loosened it by a couple of mm and it seems much happier now. :-D :-D

From the photos the toes on the left foot look a bit crooked too - will they be okay?

On another note - what colour does the light lemon & blue coloured chick look? I'm a complete amateur, so I don't know what colour it will turn out - its parents were either a wheaten/black-red cross or a partridge/white.???

They are all so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks - I look forward to your critique of my handiwork!

Deb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:33 pm 
­
­

Hi Deb, you did a great job :-D that will do the trick! The toes should straiten out on there own as they are not too bad. The chick with the dark patches is a little young to know for certain but it may be a Spattle? Or simply a non conforming colour (Mixed bag) When Pekins come through multiple colour breedings then anything is possible! We have been breeding Pekins for well over 30 years and we still smile at day old chicks & the kids love them!

There is no doubt that even though you are new at this, you & the family are true bird (chook) lovers, you have gone to great lengths to do the right thing for your birds (including the Parrots) and for that you should be CONGRATULATED!!

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:57 pm 

Good job Deb, with my eye sight I'd tape one end to the chick and the other to my finger :-D How's it doing?

Jeff chicken.gif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:29 pm 

Thanks for the vote of confidence, PA. :-D

Jeff, the chick is going really well. I took the brace off after 2 days and it is tottering around pretty well - still doesn't look quite as straight as the others, but if I didn't know what it looked like to start with it probably wouldn't catch my eye now.

They have all just had a trip to Tamworth (3 hours from home) and back over the last 4 days - I took their plastic tub brooder with us, and stuck them in a ventilated shoebox for the trip, all 10 chicks snuggled up together. They were warm and had food and water and don't look any the worse for their adventure!!

We are looking forward to our next lot hatching this Tues/Wed under one of our Pekin hens - only 5 eggs this time.