AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vanessa's broody again...but is it too hot?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:23 pm 

I am very jealous..i want a new baby....send photos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:39 pm 

Oh, I may have misunderstood you Doolan. Are you not gearing up for your 2 broodies?

Definitely no need to be jealous, and we will most certainly post some photos. Hoping all is good with your brood and you are able to set your girls, as you had planned.

As for 'new babies', this household is well finished with the non feathered kind!!

Cass, 3 boys, a husband, baby girl and our/my free range girls!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:59 pm 

Even more jealous..just posted on my other topic...girls popped off the nest..

I only have two human boys, all grown up, hairy and outa here...girl staffy, two girl cats, six girl chooks...oh and sweet hubby...(a boy ha ha) xx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:11 pm 

Hmmm, some advice please.

Ness has been on the 'fertilised' eggs since Saturday 11th January at noon. There is no signs of anything happening :(

Your thoughts please fellow AFPers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:22 pm 

So they were due 1st feb...oh sad....did you candle them Cassnboys? To see if there was life?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:24 pm 

Well, no I didn't Doolan. We bought the from our local breeder, whom we have had eggs from last time Vanessa went broody, and I presumed that this time would be no different??

I really don't know what to do.

I guess I could contact them and see what they think?

Very very sad indeed :cry:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:15 pm 

Oh feel so gutted for you..my Precious is sitting on five eggs but i know at least two are not alive..one split and stunk so chucked that..so i do know what you are going through...she is due next Monday...

Why not just candle one tonight ? Keep us posted xx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:38 pm 

Ok, well, I've just 'candled' as best I know how being a first timer, and all I could really see was light spots on the egg shell surface and maybe something that could be the air sack????

I did three eggs, but given it's the first time I've done it, with the toilet roll (being VERY careful that the egg did not slip through ;) and with a bright torch, I don't really think there is anything there??

Really cannot begin to explain the emptiness I feel. Have been in touch with the breeder so will wait to see what they think.

Any other suggestions? Where To From Here?? Especially with regards to poor old Vanessa??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:33 pm 

Well....first off..its not quite like when you and I had our boys, but..having said that,, i feel the same dread and have already got a backup plan organised if eggs dont hatch on day 21...going to get a couple of day old chick, rub them on Precious's bald chest and hope for the best.....

Can you find a couple near you? Word of warning, during some reasearch 'day old chicks' can sometimes mean 'one day at the store' so make sure the chick was born the day you buy or day prior....only thing i can suggest...if Vanessa is anything like Precious, she will sit till she wilts away...

Some good rural stock feeders can organise you to pick some up from their suppliers but might mean ringing half a dozen stock feeders or pet suppliers before you get the right info..you may not get exactly the breed you want...good luck....feel your pain xxx chicken4.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:42 am 

If they were fertile you would not see through the egg and it would look all black inside. She is not the first hen to sit on infertile eggs but maybe you can get her 3 or 4 day old chicks as doolan wrote

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next