AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vanessa's broody again...but is it too hot?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:19 pm 

Haha. Extremely unlikely!!! Nigh impossible!!!

Could it be that they were under broody for over a week? I honestly understand your suspicion, but can truly attest to these eggs being cracked without being near a pot!

[smilie=a_holycrap.gif] Starting to feel a bit silly putting this thread on and sharing the photos [smilie=a_disconcerted.gif] I am but a chook lover of a meagre 6ish years :cry:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:25 pm 

Did grandma play a trick on you with a softboiled egg? :lol:[/quote]

Not she, but her rather prankster 72yo brother was here that weekend for her 80th birthday!! But, I was in the kitchen that entire weekend! He wouldn't have had a chance!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:30 pm 

No need to think that way its all in humor as Bill was laughing with jest :lol:

I think its a great thread cassnboys and one very interesting so thanks for sharing it. As I have learn with poultry that anything is possible and I rule nothing out even egg boiling chooks are possible :lol:

On a serious side I wonder if the white within the egg had some genetic fault and at a low temp started to set? like a soft boiled egg?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:32 pm 

Happy 80th birthday to your grandmother a_partyguy.gif a_partyguy.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:15 pm 

Thanks P_Edwards... I was beginning to think I had lost it completely! Now I've got ya Bill!

Well, Ness was off the nest for ages this morning and when she went back on, her nest was occupied, so she went to the other box....which had no eggs [smilie=a_doh.gif] I transferred the three eggs I have left for her to get all mumsie like and she's still there.

Have hastily prepared the tractor for her, so she won't have to compete with the other girls but it's been about 2 1/2 weeks and she seems to be spending more time each day off the nest (or rather from this morning nests!) We are now wondering whether to put day olds under her?!

If we move her tonight, with her 3 eggs and get day olds tomorrow....when do we do the swap?? We (Vanessa and I) have only done the fertilised egg thing before and she was awesome, but not sure how to go about the day old chicks....or stick with what we know and hope she can manage another 3 weeks??? She is, after all a utility Australorp...

icon_gaah! a_help1.gif ANY comments would be muchly appreciated

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:24 pm 

If your going to try day olds under a broody you have to do that just on dark [last light] and gently rub the chicks on the foster mums stomach feathers to give them the scent.

Above all else gluck.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:25 pm 

P_Edwards wrote:
No need to think that way its all in humor as Bill was laughing with jest :lol:

good_post! and good topic duck45.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:18 pm 

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

Today, we ended up getting 5 fertilised eggs for our broody Vanessa. Not exactly sure 'what' we got as I was called in to work and Hubby and the kids went to pick them up :shock: which is not really his thing! Bless him :-D

So Ness has the hen house, other girls have the rest of the run and tractor is ready for 21 days from now!

Was really helpful to go back and re-read my posts from last time and those of Chicka-Dee, HH, PP and all the other awesome advisors on APF. It actually helped make the decision to try eggs again, as opposed to day olds. And....when I went to check what had been written on the eggs to find out what the family actually picked up today, Vanessa was her nastiest yet!!

Fluffing up, 'growling' at me pecking sooo hard and twisting when she had some flesh in her beek. All of this behaviour and the completely psychotic behaviour this morning (chasing her run mates around and pecking at them, which she has NEVER done, madly dirt bathing, fluffing up, tail in the air, more running around, jumping up high on the roosts then straight back down, etc etc [smilie=a_holycrap.gif]

It seems she will be good for it :?: :?: Do you think?? I sure hope so xx

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:39 pm 

Oh yeah...she's pumped for motherhood alright....heaven help everyone if she has to defend her babies from a predator...sounds like she will come out the winner..well done with your perserverance and caring nature allowing Vanessa to become a mum..love it......keep us posted with photos in three weeks time please [smilie=a_cookiemonster.gif]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:22 am 

Thanks Doolan :-D Pretty darn excited!! She hasn't been off the nest this morning AND we are nearly (about 2 1/2 hours) away from the end of day 1 woohoo4

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next