AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: new to breeding
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:48 pm 

HI all,

I've got a perpetually broody girl (Australaup) and I'm considering putting fertilized eggs under her but have lots of questions...

1) I'm only allowed 6 hens in our neighborhood and currently have 5. Is it easy to resell (or give away) any roosters or excess hens that are 2 years old - and not good layers...

2) Is it ok to get the eggs via post or am I less likely to get success that way?

3) Is it true I don't need an incubator as my broody would do all the work in raising them?

4) Is it ok to mix breeds?

5) Is now a good time of year to do it?

6) I already have a big mess with half my backyard partitioned off for the chooks and they dig all day long - is it likely to get any worse than no grass left? (The soil level has to topped up yearly as it all seems to go??)

7) Is my broody less likely to go broody again if I put eggs under her? Will she be 'cured' and laying eggs soon after the chicks come?

8) Should I get a dozen or is that too many?

9) I only have 1 little coop - is this a mad idea (my hubbie just shakes his head in disgust!!!!!!!!)

Too many questions, sorry but thanks in advance for any useful tips cluck.!.

2 australaups (30 weeks and laying), 2 rhode island reds (30 weeks and laying but Lucy died Jan 2013)
2 new Rhode island reds (16 weeks and now doing fine)

Post subject: Re: new to breeding
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:46 am 

Quote:
1) I'm only allowed 6 hens in our neighborhood and currently have 5. Is it easy to resell (or give away) any roosters or excess hens that are 2 years old - and not good layers...
Yes if they are free or very cheap

2) Is it ok to get the eggs via post or am I less likely to get success that way?
Its ok but expect only say 50% to be ok

3) Is it true I don't need an incubator as my broody would do all the work in raising them?
Yes true

4) Is it ok to mix breeds?
Yes

5) Is now a good time of year to do it?
Perfect time

6) I already have a big mess with half my backyard partitioned off for the chooks and they dig all day long - is it likely to get any worse than no grass left? (The soil level has to topped up yearly as it all seems to go??)
At least they air rate the soil :-D

7) Is my broody less likely to go broody again if I put eggs under her? Will she be 'cured' and laying eggs soon after the chicks come?
She will go broody many times yet its built in

8- Should I get a dozen or is that too many?
Most only sell by the dozen and allow 50% to hatch

9) I only have 1 little coop - is this a mad idea (my hubbie just shakes his head in disgust!!!!!!!!)
As long as they have enough room its a good idea the more chooks the better

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:12 pm 

thanks Cordelia - I'm getting excited :)

So sell older chooks on gumtree?? And are roosters shocking to catch??

2 australaups (30 weeks and laying), 2 rhode island reds (30 weeks and laying but Lucy died Jan 2013)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:54 pm 

Hi newmum!

I'm no expert, but my broody Australorp has now been sitting for over 5 weeks.

This is her second shot at being a mum and she is going great..............except, the 5 'fertile' eggs we put under her have not hatched :cry:

Have contacted the breeder and they said it may be due to the heat? Which we've not really had much of since that 43 degree day about a month ago.

Both Vanessa our broody and I are utterly gutted to say the least.

I went out the breeders today and it has also been suggested by forum members, to put day old chicks under her. I'm a little apprehensive as we've not done this before.

But, you know what? Nothing ventured, nothing gained and although she is still looking really good, I don't think I could put her through another 21 days.

Soooo, fingers crossed, we can pick up some day olds tomorrow and let her be the Mum she is desperately trying to be!!

Best of luck to you and your broody newmum. ENJOY!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:41 pm 

My first chooks were day olds and I have to say it was perfect and I would recommend doing that way to start off they are easy to handle and tame up real quick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:08 pm 

Agreed Yaking!

Ness has been with her new charges (7 in total) since Saturday afternoon and she is going great guns! (I guess if you've sat for over 5 weeks...you are pretty darn keen!!)

Newmum, if you have access to day olds, although probably a tad more expensive, and your broody is good to go...what do you have to lose?! And, if your breeder is local, they my even take the roos back? AND, if you are close to me.....I could take any excess girls you have [smilie=a_rolling.gif]

When I'm broody.... too many chickens is never enough sidesplit.gif

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:43 pm 

Ok, it's all happening!
I put a dozen eggs under my broody and she's done a great job but has been really resistant to ANY changes in environment - so she's in her favourite spot in one of only 2 nesting boxes in my small coop - no partition, no maternity wards etc..... She is coping with food and water in front of her only.
Today is day 19 - down to 8 eggs left (2 she kicked out, 1 broke and another ??disappeared). She had her daily break and then went back to business but in the wrong nesting box?? Meanwhile I hear chirping and 3 of the eggs are hatching and she's just watching and not sitting on them????? I'm reluctant to interfere, I want to believe she knows what she's doing?? I've now locked the other 4 hens out of the coop altogether (they'll cope) to give her some privacy but I can't understand why she's not sitting on them??? I'm trying not to peep too much so that they will bond but don't know how long they will last without her warmth?
I've no incubator nor time to do it myself....

Any suggestions - thanks in advance....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:38 pm 

Pick her up and put her on the eggs again some hes and just plian stupid at times :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:05 pm 

She went back on them after about 5 hrs - shes still sitting now and occasional chirpy sounds heard from under her - so hopeful again dance1.gif day 21 tomorrow!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:32 pm 

gluck.gif

LooLoo