AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Another newbie question: breeding season!!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:59 pm 

Carrying on from my other posts.. I currently have four Pekins (1x drake & 3 girls) that I introduced to my two Khaki Campbell drakes. I originally thought I had four Pekins but one has turned out to be a boy.

The main reason why I got the Pekins is because the Khaki Campbell's were showing aggressive behaviour towards my dog and I assumed it was due to them entering their first breeding season.. so I got them some girls woohoo4

They have integrated well but due to me (!!) being stressed by their violent mating behavior.. almost always two on one.. I keep them separate. The Pekin drake stays with the girls as he is a bit of a softy and isn't showing any mating interest in them yet!

I'm am just wondering if I do what many of you have suggested, and just turn a blind eye to behaviour that is natural duck behaviour how often do they 'do' it?

If its only for the first few minutes or so I can bear the thought of the girls putting up with it but if it is non-stop then I will be too concerned for the well being of the girls to let it happen and therefore will keep them separate.

They do chat a lot through the fence and sleep in the same shed next to each other (separated by a wire fence) and I do feel a little mean keeping the boys from doing what they want to do..

Can someone please let me know how often the boys are up for it.. how much the girls can take and how long does breeding season last!!?

Thanks muchly!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Another newbie question: breeding season!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:19 pm 
­
­

TP Member: Yes
They can mate several times a day but that depends on the drake and how many ducks at his beck and call so to speak. Mine usually mate 2 or 3 times and in between they are passive to each other yes like your talking about their day ect As long as there is enough room for the ducks to escape the drake if the need arrises then they should be fine all together

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:12 pm 

.. You're right, they mixed well together but still doing the two on one thing but I between episodes they are calm.. funny little things!! So distressing to see :0(

Do they mate like this just in Spring or is it an all year thing??!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:18 pm 

After a bit of research elsewhere it seems that for domestic ducks, breeding season is all year round!! Can someone please verify this as need to look at my duck drake ratio and assess whether or not I have to rehome the two khaki campbell drakes..

The thing is that I have already tried to find them a home but am struggling to 1) find a suitable and loving home and 2) let them go... as they quite delightful little things but now with one of the Pekins turning out to be a drake too I might just have to bite the bullet.. is there anyone out there that could take on two lovely, horney, spoilt khaki campbell drakes??

My only other option to keep them separate.. I have mixed them together the past two days and the pekins look worse for wear and Hopi has got his limp back so free ranging time will now have to be in shifts.. or I need to build another duckhouse!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:09 am 
­
­

Technically the breeding season is in the cooler month through to spring (so now) but yes with the domestic fowls its all year around BUT the best ducklings come in late august/september I find and thats when the most mating takes place they back off in the hot months

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:22 am 

I agree with the quality in spring the ducklings are much stronger and with the warmer nights does help. My ducks only mate in the very late afternoon and sometime early morning in summer but they are not driven to like the cooler months

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:11 pm 

Thanks guys.. So I guess it depends on if I want ducklings or not as to whether I put up with the breeding behaviour?

The thing is that I have ended up with drakes unintentionally and am finding it hard to rehome them and am becoming more and more concerned with the girl ducks wellbeing..

Is there any evidence that the girls ducks are mentally affected by the mating routine and are better off without the drakes hassling them??

I think Sebducks mentioned that if I don't want to breed then get rid of the drakes but they seem to also provide protection to the rest of the flock so I guess the pros must be weighed up with the cons eh??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:00 am 

Drakes very rarely provide any protection to the females if you are talking about predators. Mine seemed to be hiding when the fox took the girls some years ago! Personally I'd have one male to three females and get rid of the campbells, ultimately you have too many drakes to too few girls and the two on one mating behaviour can and does lead to damage of the girls if it is continual. Too many drakes causes stress to the females as they very rarely get peace.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:34 am 

Thanks Sebducks.. I think I have to bite the bullet and get rid of the khaki campbells but am struggling to find them a home.

Any advice where to rehome them? I am in regional Victoria.. conf665

Last edited by Gaynor on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:47 am 

Markets, trading post, local schools that have a farm?

Profile E-mail