AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Common Domestic Geese ???
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:33 pm 

Thanks for the compliments,
I love em. They keep the rest of the fowl I have on heir toes thats for sure. I think they enjoyed sending the guineas fowl into the trees every chance they got

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:02 am 
­
­

TP Member: Yes
I am sure the guinea fowls love that :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:30 am 

Weston wrote:
good old visual and breeding history

...the breed originated in north europe, in and around Germany and the oldest writen desciption of the breed is dated at 1897.
the 'pommern gans' was officially recognised as an independant breed in 1912, between 1912 and 1914 there were two type listed.
single and dual lobed
between those years and 1929 some "good old visual and breeding history" took place and the single central lobe became the obligatory criterion for the breed
this is a must have feature making the pomeranian unique.

so why was the standard writen? so that the breed can be clearly identified from the other domestic breeds...it makes no difference what your intentions are for breeding geese,,the standard isn't just writen for those that wish to show. its writen so keepers,breeders,showers and judges can all obtain a clear understanding of the requiements and identifying features of each breed .

the Aust poultry standards seems to ruffle some feathers,,so i'll draw your attention to the BWA(british waterfowl association) waterfowl standard
from page 3
the waterfowl club was founded in 1887
in 1949 it merged with the duck keeps Association and from then on was known as the BWA
so they've been around for a long time, have records and "breeding history", and have cross checked thier information
and i believe they've got the standard right! and is a true discription of the breed( the APS for this breed is word for word to the BWA,,so i believe its right too)

Fallax.. in assessing your birds its a simple process!the BWA list dual lobes as a disqualification. page 5 of the BWA explains why it is disqualified
"Disqualifications , for birds that were not true examples of thier breed"

I'm not making any of this up. i'm refferancing the following
the Australian poutlry standards 2nd edition
the BWA waterfowl standard 2008
and 'domestic geese' writen by Chris Ashton
and on top of this i've travelled to a number of over seas locations and taken my own photos and documentation

i've put forward my opinion and how and whats been used to come to that opinion, you can cross chech the above info and draw your own conclusions.

Weston i you wish to bang on about ducks then by all means do so,,just go and do it in the relivant thread/web site
we're discussing geese here in this thread..namely the pomeranian so lets stick to the topic ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:06 am 

All you have posted relates to showing of fowl as was the purpose of the APS for the judging of fowl.

Quote:
Weston i you wish to bang on about ducks then by all means do so,,just go and do it in the relivant thread/web site
we're discussing geese here in this thread..namely the pomeranian so lets stick to the topic

Actually you referred to ducks or more accurate pekin ducks I simply responded to your reference and you still avoid the question. My question is and was relevant to this topic as you think the APS is the be all to end all and using it in your way of life. I may be old son but very wise and seen many young ones come and go and I am still going.

I have removed the personal remarks you made no need for that behavior and although maybe acceptable on other forums its not here.

Have a nice xmas santa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:24 pm 

Weston wrote:
. I may be old son but very wise and seen many young ones come and go and I am still going.

I have removed the personal remarks you made no need for that behavior and although maybe acceptable on other forums its not here.

you've brought nothing to the conversation to assist Fallax in determining what if any breed he has.
instead you've made attempts to redirect the conversation away from the core issue.."Pomeranian geese" and perhaps question my knowledge
i'm happy to disregard the APS from this conversation,,and go back a little further in time and use the BWA standard.
an organisation thats been around longer than you have been alive..are you suggesting the infomation they have complied on the breeds and thier history is incorrect?
because thats what it looks like to me...the APS gets the majority of its waterfowl text straight from the BWA,,even uses some of the same pictures
why are you so against breeding to a standard?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:37 pm 

RnBs wrote:
Weston wrote:
. I may be old son but very wise and seen many young ones come and go and I am still going.

you've brought nothing to the conversation to assist Fallax in determining what if any breed he has.
instead you've made attempts to redirect the conversation away from the core issue.."Pomeranian geese" and perhaps question my knowledge
i'm happy to disregard the APS from this conversation,,and go back a little further in time and use the BWA standard.
an organisation thats been around longer than you have been alive..are you suggesting the infomation they have complied on the breeds and thier history is incorrect?
because thats what it looks like to me...the APS gets the majority of its waterfowl text straight from the BWA,,even uses some of the same pictures
why are you so against breeding to a standard?

Actually I did before you came into the conversation {page1}
Weston wrote:
You need to vent sex them, that is the only sure way. Yes Pomeranians are common and a nice breed

Still waiting on that relpy :-?

So again I edited your personal remarks out, try to remain calm and civil please or find a forum that suits your insulting attitude.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:17 pm 

Weston wrote:

Actually I did before you came into the conversation {page1}
Weston wrote:
You need to vent sex them, that is the only sure way. Yes Pomeranians are common and a nice breed

that's all you've put forward Mr moderator..i asked why and how you came to that conclusion and you've danced around and aviod it.
hense my Weston's world comment..to me it looks like a case of they are pomms, because you say they are..you've failed to put forward any
cedible material to back up your "yes".. i dont think its an unreasonable request to ask a man of your experience how he came to his conclusion

Weston wrote:
So again I edited your personal remarks out, try to remain calm and civil please or find a forum that suits your insulting attitude.

again thats your interpetation,,these mistakes can be made as the context it which its meant doesnt come accross clearly ..
you seem to have taken offence,,this was not my intent,,i dont feel i owe you an appolagy,,but hey it's Xmas have a good 1.. santa1

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:56 pm 

You forgot this part of the quote :-D
Weston wrote:
Still waiting on that relpy :-?

you have danced around and avoided it conf665

Anyhow lets move on...

RnBs wrote:
that's all you've put forward Mr moderator..i asked why and how you came to that conclusion and you've danced around and aviod it.
hense my Weston's world comment..to me it looks like a case of they are pomms, because you say they are..you've failed to put forward any
cedible material to back up your "yes"..

Well thats very obvious on page 1 RnBs but I can explain it for you happily. On page 1 Fallax posted his pictures and a comparison picture based on his picture and information he provided I along with others concluded they are poms. Now I do not have a nose I can twitch and instantly appear at Fallaxs home with my genetics testing kit and view the geese first hand and run a full analysis, sorry, I like all other here can only go on the information provided and make an assessment based on that and we have. I hope that clears thing up for you and I await my reply on the pekins.

Merry xmas to you also santa1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:10 am 
­
­

Fallax are you intending to show the geese?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:02 pm 

The main reason I got the geese is to breed on and eat. I do love the way they look and also try to keep everything I have pure, but eating was my first thought with these guys.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next