AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mammoth Mallards
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:19 am 

TP Member: Yes
HayMan wrote:
Duck Quality wrote:
I would not mix them because you dont want the commercial ducks polluting your good ones. The roune mallards should be kept away from the good breeds so they stay pure

Oh yeh I won't mix the good breeds with the rouens I will have them down the backyard right away from the others

Its a good idea to not mix any duck breeds together just look at Welsh Harlequins virtually all cross breeds now :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:29 pm 

I thought of that I don;t want them crossing over with breeding so will have 2 types and both separate. I was also wondering if I got the normal mallards would they breed with the mammoth rouen mallards? and would I get a medium mallards from that. I know its not cross over breeding as they are the same duck but I was thinking of a medium between them both

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:54 pm 

Yes thats fine they are the same only size difference so go for it

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:41 am 

Thats great saves making another duck run. Hey can the normal mallards have the same tucker as the mammoth rouen mallards? I will be feeding to fatten so will the normals bo ok with that?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:41 pm 

That will be fine as you know there is no massive difference or any difference in general type and colouring between wild mallards and mammoth rouen mallards, some mammoth rouen mallards can be a little darker but not always as the experienced breeds knows.

Quote:
Description:
They look like large Mallard ducks with similar coloration, but Rouens weigh 6-10 lbs. compared to the 2-3 lbs. of the Mallard. The male (drake) Rouens also have the green head and neck with a white line just like a male (drake) Mallard

Source- Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo

Heaps more sites state the same ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:53 pm 

i dont have these as i dont like the over sized mallards but they are good eating so thats the only reason i would have any short term until ready for the oven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:59 pm 
­
­

Good posting Weston as I have been breeding waterfowl far longer than any gavelgraveler there is little difference apart from the weight, of course. I wouldn't waste a second with another piddly forum that obviously have no Idea what so ever of waterfowl the info here is spot on so well done breeders.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:43 pm 

My favorite stupid comments is we all say the mammoth rouen mallard were fat because they had a keel sidesplit.gif laughter.gif sidesplit.gif not 1 person here on the aussie knowledge forum has ever said that sidesplit.gif laughter.gif sidesplit.gif laughter.gif clowns.

As a genuine expert in waterfowl I am locked out of "that pathetic forum" (thank god) so are all those that know waterfowl far better and actually breed many every year.

ColacWaterfowl is a living legend in waterfowl and has forgotten more than anyone there ever knew or ever will.
Tony R is a 40+ year breeder of waterfowl inc rouens in all there types
John S is a 30 year expert in waterfowl and breeds more in a year than most there can count to
I could list dozens more......

We are the home of waterfowl here and thats very obvious ;)

Post subject: Re: Mammoth Mallard Rouens
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:24 am 

If its the forum I am think of called "Blacklisted Website" and I don't know why its called that but its a waste of time I was kicked off for no reason other than I no waterfowl well and they don't and they don't like people that no better, but did me a favor as I found this forum and its 1000% better.

If they think the keel has anything to do with the breed being heavy then more proof they have no idea.

Post subject: Re: Mammoth Mallard Rouens
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:37 am 

[smilie=a_goodjobson.gif] that why all the waterfowl breeders are here [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

HISTORY; Rouen Ducks ;
The Rouen is visibly a giant Mallard duck marked with the same color pattern ,with drakes having green heads, white collars, claret breast and a blue patch on the wing,.They have large very deep bodies with the basic coloration of the Mallard ( watch bill colour and depth if buying). The Rouen was developed in France and was admitted to the American Standard in 1874 Also known as Le carnard de Rouen fonce' in France/Belgium . . another waddler

Source- Domestic Waterfowl Club of Great Britain
http://www.domestic-waterfowl.co.uk/rouen.htm

The definition of Mammoth for the on lookers :lol:

mam·moth
/ˈmaməTH/Noun

Adjective
Huge: "a mammoth corporation".

Synonyms
huge - enormous - giant - gigantic - colossal - immense

The correct name should be Mammoth Mallard but as some know them as just Rouen then we use the name Mammoth Mallard Rouen which by the facts is correct and the keel is not relevant especially when it varies mammothly in them and more so in Australia

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next