AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Geese + Paralysis ticks
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:15 am 

Hi Folks,

Just back from the vet's with a very sick goose and a sizable bill - not that I am complaining about the $$$.

Wondering if anyone can share their experience / wisdom about geese and paralysis ticks, in particular:

1. Do they recover? This girl got an injection of anti-serum + multivitamins. Is recovery likely or can I expect an unhappy outcome?

2. If they do recover, have I just "acquired" a household pet or is reasonable to expect she can rejoin the flock? Basing my experiences on what happens to dogs and cats, is the paralysis she has in her legs likely to be permanent?

3. She is currently:
* in an enclosed box with the flaps folded down to keep in the heat / reduce any disturbances and air holes cut in the side to allow some ventilation
* on bedding straw
* with an incandescent light bulb heating the her new *hopefully temporary* home

The whole set up has been relocated to the corner of a room to minimise any disturbances. Any other suggestions on things to do to make her comfy?

4. Any suggestions on how to minimise the chances of similar occurring with the others in the flock? The lawn they mow is ... *lawn*. I cant cut it any shorter otherwise it would be dirt.

As I type I just checked her - she is seemingly alert and looking around to find the source of sound (me moving around). She has a slice of her favourite bread broken up into small pieces soaking in a small dish of water within reaching distance.

Any other ideas gratefully received.

Regards.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Geese + Paralysis ticks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:36 pm 

i assume your bird recovered just fine? it should have
we run a flock of up to 60+ geese at times, and every year i have one or two go down with paralysis tick, some go down so badly that when found the next morning, they cant move, wings out wide, head stretched out and unable to lift it off the ground, tongue out, still breathing and with some mild eye movement, If it was your cat or dog in this state i wouldnt hold much hope even with the vets assistance!
i've pulled every one of these birds through and back in the flock in no more than 3 days with out visiting the vet, they truely are a tuff bird, with a will to live!
you just have to find the tick, which can be hard! once remove, just place the bird in a cool and quiet place, dont worry about feeding it, it wont eat until it wants to and is starting to feel good, occationally i'll drible a few drops of water onto the tongue, but dont over do it and try and make the bird drink as you could drown it

i do how ever recomend you take your aniamls to the vet when found in this state, i'm just backing my experience and knowlegde to pull the bird through, one day it may cost me...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:08 pm 

Hi. Many thanks for your thoughts. You are right about geese being tough little buggers - my guys never cease to amaze me.

The goose that went down with the paralysis tick did recover. Unfortunately both she and the gander subsequently did manage to get one each on separate occasions - but this time I was wiser from my previous experience. By the time i discovered them, they couldn't walk but were still able to flap their wings. This has now become a standard sign I look for when I come home in the afternoon - being the typically inquisitive Chinese geese they stand to attention to check me out when I drive in ... if they don't I know there is trouble afoot.

As you suggested, I did remove the tick on both birds. Interestingly the ticks on both subsequent occasions where around their eyes - making it easy to see and remove. After a few days in their house with plenty of TLC, both of them bounced back fine. Since then the geese, much to their disgust, were "in coventry" and only allowed to graze in their runs while this tick season passed. Since the beginning of February I started free range graze them again in a fenced off area just outside their run where the grass is quite short. So far this has been without incident. They will be given full access to "their" paddock in mid March - by that stage the tick season for this area will have passed and the geese should be safe.

One last comment - 60+ geese must make one hell of a noise when they come together.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:56 am 

TP Member: Yes
I have never had a problem with ticks but I thank you both as now I know what to look for and what to do if I ever do have them, thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:43 pm 

I had a drake die from a paralysis tick, because I had never heard of this I tried to treat him for other problems it wasn't until he died that the vet found the tick, I am now the wiser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:56 pm 

We have a flock of 30 odd geese and every yearhave a few go down with ticks. If not treated they stand a good chance of dying.
In 100 % of cases the tick has been in the head nexh area and around they eyes...
When visiting a vet DO NOT allow normal anti tick sirum to be administered without first administrating adrellian.
The correct serum for birds is Purified anti tick serum made by Summerland serums. We administer between 3 and 6 mills , depending on the size of the bird and have never lost a bird in 5 years. Also keep the bird still and walm.. Feel free to e mail me on dysonjk@bigpond.com for any other info.

Regards