AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Security and your birds [just my opinion to keep them safe]
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:11 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

In these times of uncertainty and dishonesty - a few select breeders guidlines for selling birds

LIVE in a PO Box
USE ONLY a mobile number for verbal contact
NEVER NEVER NEVER give out yr private address or the address where yr birds are kept to ANYONE
ARRANGE to meet ALL prospective purchasers at a park or similar at least 2 towns away from where you live [30 mins minimum drive]
ENSURE your NUMBER PLATES ARE OBSCURED TOTALLY or REMOVED well before the prospective purchaser arrives so they can't make a note of them and track you later
PRESENT for inspection the birds you are offering BUT NEVER NEVER EVER take the adult breeding parent birds - show photos ONLY – establish well in advance this is a condition of sale - if the purchaser/s insist on seeing the adult birds point blank state “You will ONLY see them via pictures or at Shows" [depending on IF you show them] if they are unhappy with this – they obviously DON’T want the birds you are offering.
Accept CASH ONLY for payment [cheques bounce folks!] and get an acknowledgement in writing [have the form pre-printed] from the purchaser that they have accepted full responsibility for the birds and their health once they take delivery [the same as applies when you buy at auction] however have in the form that you agree to replace a bird if it is proven via post Mortem to have a long standing [pre-existing but undiagnosed] disease [in this circumstance the purchaser/s MUST provide a copy of the Post Mortem AND the details of whom performed it in order that you can contact this person -
WAIT in that park for 15mins until you are sure they have gone then go have a cuppa at a cafe for abt half an hour or so [‘casually watching’ out the window for the purchaser/s] just to be sure they have left the area. Making sure you uncover or re-attach yr number plates BEFORE driving out of the park of course. This is so they can't make a note of them and track you later.
And always - if in doubt = DON'T SELL THE BIRDS
If the purchaser/s has birds [determine this well beforehand] either dispose of any not sold before returning to yr property [ensure you only take a select number that you CAN afford to lose] or quarantine the birds for a minimum of 4 weeks.

:oops: Getting off my high horse now. :oops: :lol:

If you have security concerns - there IS security equipment available - I recommend Infrared/colour CCTV as ONLY this form is admissible in court the regular black and white CCTV is NOT - you must sign post that security surveillance is operating at one point of yr property - you are only required to show a sign at one point [needless to say it doesn't necessarily have to be facing yr front driveway]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:19 pm 

WOW, this all sounds cloak and dagger but I understand as I have heard of a few people recently who have had birds stolen.

I also know how hard it is to get good quality birds that are not as common as some. I am still trying but I would imagine some people just steal what they can't purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:44 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Not a few = I know of 23 breeders that have had birds stolen in the last 4 months alone - some have lost hundreds of birds wiping them out totally - others only a few birds. either way it is theft and heartbreaking
and the breeders are all from different states.

No one should work on the principal that they are safe from this. The times are changing and people are being stolen from - and somewhat regularly. There are thieves and conartists amongst us unfortunately - it is a sad part of our lives now.

:oops: ;) this statement makes me sound a bit suspicious hey! :shock:
let me quote those famous words

"I DIDN'T DO IT!!!"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:00 pm 

Sounds a little drastic, like drug dealing or somthing, but i suppose now a days it is getting necasery :-?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:51 pm 

It wouldn't have been such a problem back in my day. Back then the laws were enforced. It wasn't worth the risk getting caught so fewer people would have tried.

My day: not long ago

Bring back the cat-o-nine-tails I reckon and public lashings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:13 pm 

greenaus, u make it sound like ur a hundred or something. i dont think things would have been much different 'back in ur day'. and i know that crime is a bit of an issue here in Australia, but i still consider myself very lucky. I could be stuck in a country like south Africa where u cant even take a new phone out in public without u being mugged, and have a president thats a convicted rapist. there are many many other countries that have many more probs then us, which makes me feel much more lucky, safe and appreciative of the place i live.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:35 pm 
­
­

Unfortunately pet theft has risen dramatically in the last 5 years so Greenaus is quite right although think he was using a bit of humor Agaff4. These days you do need some form of security and Soozorps advise has good merits after all "Its better to be safe than sorry" we have very high security including over 12 digital CCTV just on the Pens complexes which records 24/7 also 2 x trained guard dogs and more it's a sign of the times unfortunately.

P.S Soozorps, yes we will make this a sticky.

Thanks
P.A :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:43 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Thanks P.A. - I just felt this one was necessary - muchly appreciated

CCTV is good isn't it!?! We originally got ours coz the area we used to live in was classified 'high theft' and they were a requirement for all new insurance policies. We soon realised JUST how good they were when they caught a would be chook thief. We have a 9 camera Colour/Infra-red system ourselves and am saving for a 24 system.

By the same token = the old baseball bat method is very soothing I've been told - admittedly you have to catch them first!! Personally I would rather see them go to gaol.

Again - thanks for making this a Sticky - it might make pplz think twice and realise just how serious the 'pet' theft is in OZ.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:33 pm 

soozorps wrote:
By the same token = the old baseball bat method is very soothing I've been told - admittedly you have to catch them first!! Personally I would rather see them go to gaol.

There was a time...before my time...when a baseball bat (not overused) or other non-lethal instant punishment was semi-acceptable and didn't lead to crims suing the victims.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:09 pm 

i think your info soozorps is tops and i didnt now it was that bad thanks alot

my web site http://www.freewebs.com/wollongongbantam/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next