AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: New chicken coop from eBay
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:44 am 

Looking at having a few chooks for the first time and my first stop was to find a nice coop.

What do you guys think of ths one?

Chicken Coop with Nesting Box and Run CH007+CH007RUN
Size: 220cm x 158cm x 83cm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-2M-Chicken ... 642wt_1300

PLUS

=

Thanks
Tim

Post subject: Re: New chicken coop from eBay
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:15 am 

[smilie=welcome.gif] Ponderosa,

It's lovely that you are going to bring home some chookies soon.

Hmm, about the coop, from my experience, they are poorly constructed without a lot of room for the girls. They are hard to clean and attract red mites in all the wood nooks and cranies and as the coop is difficult to clean, it may be difficult to eradicate the mites. The runs are fairly small which doesn't allow your chooks room to do as chooks are supposed to do ie. scratch around for tasty bugs, grains, grasses and find themselves a lovely area to dust bath in. The run isn't predator proof so you would have to lock them in the hen house every night just on dusk and let them out in the morning. Inside the hen house there isn't enough room for food and water so this would have to be placed outside where the food wouldn't get wet. Also the number of chooks you could accommodate would depend on you getting standard or bantam size chooks.

IMO if you are a little handy with the tools you would be best to build a nice coop with a covered run, that's also people friendly so you can stand up in it.

Have a look at some if the photos in the housing section for some ideas.

If you are getting your chooks soon then this coop could be an, in betweener while you construct something bigger as it's not great long term th_Noooo.gif

Good Luck

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:12 pm 

welcomtogroup.gif Ponderosa

One Sussex Cockerel and 15 Sussex pullets

Proudly I only use APF

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:10 am 

That coop will be ok for 4 bantams but you need to let them out to free range every day

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:50 am 

welcomtogroup.gif Ponderosa,

Did you watch Bonanza?

From personal experience I would not recommend the coop you posted. I had one and it warped and deteriorated with the weather and ended up on the hard waste.

If you are not handy with tools and live in Victoria there are a few people on eBay and Gumtree that build and quite sturdy coops. Also Aarons Sheds have coops. There are a few other shed places that have similar set ups.

Or you could convert a 2nd hand cubby house.

Good luck!

Attachments:
Stained_Chook_house_pet_homes__18002.1372726351.1280.960.jpg
Stained_Chook_house_pet_homes__18002.1372726351.1280.960.jpg [ 143.71 KiB | Viewed 9791 times ]

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all life is too short to be anything but happy."
Karl Marx, Composer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:56 pm 

Yes loved Bonanza :lol:

Thanks for the honest advice, good to read and get that feedback

I think I will build my own from metal also I want it to hold about 6 hens so I guess it needs to be much larger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:03 pm 

You could call your coop Ponderosa!

There are a couple of good chook coop building books like Building Chicken Coops For Dummies that you can borrow from the local library.

Here is the thread for my chook coop book reviews
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=790&start=120

Good luck once again, just make sure that it is fox, goanna, snake or any predator or rodent proof!

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all life is too short to be anything but happy."
Karl Marx, Composer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:04 am 

Ponderosa wrote:
I think I will build my own from metal also I want it to hold about 6 hens so I guess it needs to be much larger

Good idea much better to build it to how you want it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:51 pm 

Yes for 6 or more hens toy are best to make your own I think also

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:49 pm 

If you head to page two of this section, you'll be able to see my first eBay coop with two 'standard-size' pullets in it. I doubled the size and it was still too small for 2 bids full-time.
http://www.australianpoultryforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=16809

Also, watch out for foxes and don't buy the thin (cheap) chicken wire to predator-proof. The bastards bite through wire, so get the thicker gauge chicken wire. It's a touch more expensive, but will save you the heartbreak of losing your flock.