AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Wed May 29, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cinnamon Guinea-Fowl
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:29 pm 

GG Member: Yes
GascoyneGuineas wrote:
some of the cinnamons have a real silver undertone that are bred from the silver over cinnamon.

That's because there are four basic and different loci (locations on chromosomes) where genes reside and determine the feather patterns (this was from an email from PA) so you will get varied colour

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:36 pm 

GascoyneGuineas wrote:
The other coops have all cinnamons together or all silvers together and one spare coop for whites from PA when I can buy them

I have the same but mixing is ok as the cinnamon mutation has been around for so many decades and is so well established with many thousands out there it’s not an uncommon mutation at all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:39 pm 

GascoyneGuineas wrote:
one spare coop for whites from PA when I can buy them

I have the palace cage ready and waiting

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:41 pm 

Hi there first great web site learning lots. I was wanting to know how much cinnamon guinea fowls sell for? Also the silver guinea fowls
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:52 pm 

GuineasofPerth wrote:
I saw this and decided to add my experience with so called split to cinnamon. I purchased off the internet and paid to have them sent all the way over here so called split cinnamon guinea fowls in both males and females and was told to breed them together and I would breed some cinnamons well 2 years latter and 69 chicks latter and no cinnamons have come they are all grey and lavender. I have asked a few good breeders about why and they have all told me there is no such thing and a split to cinnamon female and unless I get a cinnamon female or a silver female I will never breed them. So I have ordered 2 cinnamon females and will then hopefully breed some. So my advice to people is beware of these claims I think some are just out for the money.

I would have ordered two male Guinea Fowl; if the factor for Cinnamon is sex-linked then you could/should breed Cinnamon female progeny. If the factor is autosomal then you won't breed any F1 Cinnamons (unless females used carry hidden the recessive gene), but back-crossing some F1 female progeny to your purchased Cinnamon males may just yield some results!

Ace, not a lot of your arguments are valid nor make sense to me :-?
Ace Ventura wrote:
For the record I have a large flock of free range guineas [pearl/cinnamon and lavender] that have MANY splits possibly 50% in the flock. I have fairly equal number of cockbirds and hens and most are related.

How do you know this? If you know you have splits then you should know how they have been bred; can you elaborate? Are you saying that both your hens & cockbirds are split? If so then you are saying that the gene resposible is autosomal & not sex-linked! You believe that you have the gene for the trait but you can't see it making it "a recessive" so that much we agree on!

Ace Ventura wrote:
I have NEVER had a cinnamon appear in my flock EVER, that is EVER, not one, NEVER which is no surprise to me as they are sex linked so no split hens

Why would it matter whether the gene for the trait was sex-linked or autosomal? If you know which it is & you know what you are doing & the factor is present (as you are certain it is) then you should have bred Cinnamons long ago!

Ace Ventura wrote:
but on the hypothesis of recessive then hens would be split and I would have cinnamons running around but I don’t.

Recessive state has nothing to do with whether or not the hens are heterozygous @ a specific locus or not. This makes no sense?

Ace Ventura wrote:
Now I have just added to the flock 3 silver hens and now I will see if I breed cinnamon which I believe I will because silver is also sex linked in red eye only.

Ahh, the wonderous Silver! I would be interested to hear your views on what makes a Silver & therefore their importance in breeding Cinnamon!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:55 pm 

Barnycoop good to have you join our flock

Cinnamons around $50 each
Silver around $30 each
Split cinnamon or silver, cockbirds only $20

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:41 pm 

drayllor wrote:
Ace, not a lot of your arguments are valid nor make sense to me :-?
The feeling is mutual

Ace Ventura wrote:
For the record I have a large flock of free range guineas [pearl/cinnamon and lavender] that have MANY splits possibly 50% in the flock. I have fairly equal number of cockbirds and hens and most are related.
drayllor wrote:
How do you know this? If you know you have splits then you should know how they have been bred; can you elaborate? Are you saying that both your hens & cockbirds are split? If so then you are saying that the gene resposible is autosomal & not sex-linked! You believe that you have the gene for the trait but you can't see it making it "a recessive" so that much we agree on!

Please read my post correctly I clearly say I do not have ANY SPLIT HENS and under this "hypothesis" I should have.

Ace Ventura wrote:
I have NEVER had a cinnamon appear in my flock EVER, that is EVER, not one, NEVER which is no surprise to me as they are sex linked so no split hens
drayllor wrote:
Why would it matter whether the gene for the trait was sex-linked or autosomal? If you know which it is & you know what you are doing & the factor is present (as you are certain it is) then you should have bred Cinnamons long ago! .

I have bred many, many, many cinnamons but from cinnamon to cinnamon or cinnamon to silver or split cockbird to hen sexed linked not split to split as that's not possible

I have first hand breeding experience and know the facts I don't Google search the internet I breed them so I know what’s what. I have many friends that also breed them and 100% agree with sexed linked from their first hand experience and have read much of this hypothesis with humour. Anyway you are welcome to believe what ever you like, good luck.

Ace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:14 pm 

Another great article published in the Oxford Journal on Guinea Fowl mutations...

http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/conten ... l.pdf+html

Cheers
Shawn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:44 pm 

You will wear out Google at this rate turkeyboy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:49 pm 

Ace Ventura wrote:For the record I have a large flock of free range guineas [pearl/cinnamon and lavender] that have MANY splits possibly 50% in the flock. I have fairly equal number of cockbirds and hens and most are related.

Ace Ventura wrote:I have NEVER had a cinnamon appear in my flock EVER, that is EVER, not one, NEVER which is no surprise to me as they are sex linked so no split hens

Ace Ventura wrote:Now I have just added to the flock 3 silver hens and now I will see if I breed cinnamon which I believe I will because silver is also sex linked in red eye only.

Ace Ventura wrote:I have bred many, many, many cinnamons but from cinnamon to cinnamon or cinnamon to silver or split cockbird to hen sexed linked not split to split as that's not possible

Mmmm, I’m a little confused,, [smilie=a_doh.gif] [smilie=a_doh.gif]

Ace, You claimed to have Pearl/Cinnamon never produced a Cinnamon amongst your flock,,,You have bred many, many, many cinnamons but from cinnamon to cinnamon or cinnamon to silver or split cockbird to hen sexed linked not split to split as that's not possible, Yet,,, you just added 3 Silvers hens to your breeding program..........

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 38  Next