AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sexing Guinea Fowl - For the beginner.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:02 am 

GG Member: Yes
If you read all the topics on sexing here you will read we clearly say sexing by Wattles, Helmets, Behavior and finally by calls AT maturity in that order. We have many breeders from all over the world here including many Americans some of which have stated they sex their Guinea fowls the same way as we do. The 'ridiculing' as you put it is aimed at those who claim Guineas can ONLY be sexed by calls which is utter rubbish and is again false information which is seen all to often elsewhere :roll:

You don't need flash for pictures have a read of this it will explain how to add pictures viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6274

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:11 pm 

You and I must not read the same poultry forums, CinnGuinea. I don't remember ever reading that guinea fowl can (or even should be) sexed ONLY by their call. I'm sure somebody has put that notion out there somewhere, but I know it wasn't me, and I cannot say where others might read something like that. Sorry for being so ignorant. conf665 What I'm trying to say is that here in the USA we do not recommend that adult guinea fowl be sexed by wattles alone. Wattles on our guineas are just too variable for that approach to work all of the time. I'm sure that there are breeders here who have flocks that are better at "following the wattle rules" and can identify their birds that way, but I know many breeders who have guineas with wattles that are quite different than what the "rules" say they should be. I appreciate that this is definitely NOT the case in Australia, and I have to say that I am jealous that you folks have it so easy! It would be so much easier to pass along the information that you do about wattles and gender identification than to need to go into a long explanation about how you can't always trust that wattle size and shape will indicate what sex your guineas will be. I really do wonder why things are so different here.

Here are a couple of photos of my guineas that I hope will illustrate what I'm saying. It is obvious to me (and I'm sure to you, too) what sex each of these guineas is, but I would not say that the wattles are the way to figure that out. After uploading the photos, I notice that Sadie (the female, of course) and Rex are both sporting their solid neck feathers! (Not going to say another word about THAT!)

Attachments:
File comment: This is my smallest female. She had the largest wattles of all of my guineas.
Sadie.jpg
Sadie.jpg [ 111.55 KiB | Viewed 3094 times ]
File comment: This is my alpha male (is that a term I'm allowed to use? :-? ) He was the largest guinea I have kept, not the tallest, but he had the biggest helmet and body.
Rex.jpg
Rex.jpg [ 229.19 KiB | Viewed 3042 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:10 pm 

Actually I rarely read any others but I do stray every now and then :lol:

Quote:
As you said the only way to tell the sexes is by call.

This is one of many quotes from a "site" that claims the above statement and no not you and its not american site. I won't name it its terrible.

Its clear your guineas are different in a few ways and as I have never seen yours first hand I can't comment on the wattles on US guineas. Its extremely rare here for a male to have small female like wattles and for a female to have large male wattles. So wattle sexing here is like 99%

Love your pictures, very nice guineas, I note your hens wattles are not cupped as expected ? can't tell on rex?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:22 pm 

BarbaraUSA wrote:
The genes of the guineas in my country must be so muddled that we have all kinds of differences (not just in color) that you Aussies do not find in yours.

You have to remember in the USA you can import fowls and to my knowledge you still can. In Australia we have not been able to import for approx 50 years but that has now changed and we will see changes in guineas here. So because you can import and have your gene pool is far more diverse and that is why you have more mutations than us and the only reason I might add. If the tables were turned we would have all the mutations and you would not. The key here is genetic diversity ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:12 am 

Actually Sadie does have cupped wattles. I know that picture doesn't show them like it should, but it was the only closeup picture I could find of her. I'm lucky to have found that one. I don't use my camera very often. Rex's wattles are fairly flat to his head, as all of my males had wattles that were not cupped. A lot of keepers over here have males with large cupped wattles, so mine might not actually be the "norm" but they are not rare. I've seen lots of photos of female-type wattles on males here, just like Rex's, the males' wattles are usually thicker than those on the females. My largest female, Melody, had mismatched wattles, one very large cupped one and one flat one. It made her look like she was tilting her head all of the time, but she was not. Here's a picture of another one of my males. Sorry the picture is so blurry. I had to enlarge it so his wattles could be seen better.

Attachments:
File comment: Ranger is a coral blue (partially pearled). You can't see any of his pearling in this picture as the pearling and barring is displayed in the lower portion of his body. This is what he looks like in the sun. In the shade, he looks more light gray.
Rangerheadshot.jpg
Rangerheadshot.jpg [ 126.14 KiB | Viewed 3048 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:52 am 

He's an easy one to sex, big wattles and large horn. Nice fella ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:17 pm 

Her wattles are also swept back again typical of a hen no matter how big they are

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:52 pm 

NightMare wrote:
Her wattles are also swept back again typical of a hen no matter how big they are

Yep I agree both easy to sex ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:25 am 

I don't disagree at all about the ease of sexing any of my guineas. They are all easy to sex. I was trying to point out that many of the guineas here in the United States do not have the standard wattle sizes or shapes that most guineas in Australia have. That's why we cannot categorically state that anyone can sex a guinea fowl by its wattles alone. It doesn't work that way everywhere in the world, but it certainly looks like you can do that in Australia! From now on when I talk about sexing guineas, I'm going to mention that in some parts of the world guineas can be sexed by their wattles alone. I wonder if the USA is the only country in the world that cannot do it that way. The diversity of our guineas may be more of a curse than a blessing!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:12 am 

I communicate with 2 breeders in the UK that use wattle sexing as their best way of sexing so its not just Australia but we do seem to have a cleaner gene pool in that respect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next