AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: feeding brush turkeys
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:21 pm 

I have a pair of brush turkeys moved it to the property and would like to offer some tucker to keep them hanging around. Whats the best food to offer them other than the usual seed that I feed the chooks?

Post subject: Re: feeding brush turkeys
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:20 pm 

If your sure you want them and their offspring to stay, you can offer them meal worms they will appreciate the protein and its not too different from worms they will naturally find. Be aware once they really like your place they will move in lock stock and remodel your gardens, fruit tree mulch etc :-D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:49 pm 

Hi wave.gif
I have a couple of Brush Turkeys that come around each evening when I,m feeding my cows, they pick up anything that the cows drop on the ground. You could just give them a handful of scratch mix every now and then. You should never feed wild bird/animals every day, if you do they come to rely on you feeding them, then all of sudden when you you have to go away for a day or two - no food. Feed them ramdomly and keep missing the odd day or two.

Regards

Ian turkey.gif

1 Wife, 1 Daughter, 1 Dog, 1 Cat, 1 Dexter Bull, 2 Dexter Steers, 7 Dexter Cows, 2 Dexter Heifers, 6 Dexter Calves, 19 Wiltshire Horned Sheep, 1 Wiltshire Horned Ram, 1 Barnevelder Rooster, 7 Mixed Breed Old Chooks, 4 Barnevelder Hens and 17 Barnevelder Chicks. See them all @ www.ethicaldexterbeef.com.au

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:29 am 

Ok then I will offer a little bit of food every second day but yes I would love to have them live here
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:24 pm 

They'll eat anything, feed em what you do poultry. We feed em all sorts of crap, especially leftovers from other birds...bread & milk, sponge cake, meat mix, fruits, veg, grains, pellets etc etc...

www.featherdale.com.au

I believe the chicken came first.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:14 am 

Thats what I started doing was giving them the let over grains and they love it and very happy they are staying around now they are even drinking out of the container I placed for them

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:18 am 

They become very friendly and will eventually eat out of your hand, we had one years ago that used to do this but beware they do take a bit of skin with them! We were at Australia Zoo the other day with the kids and there was a brush turkey wandering around the large food court with all the tourists etc just pecking around.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:42 pm 

That would be great if one day ours would come that close

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:40 pm 

We would like to find away to keep the off our place they spend more time in the barn and scare the bollocks out of me every time I walk in there

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:36 pm 

Yes we have about 15 of the damn things scratching up the yard, I'd love a way of keeping them away.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 10Geese, 70%cocoa, ABC Poultry, Adam Smith, Adeiela, Akeet, Alex Cooper, alexanderpeafowl, AlligatorCrkHeritageBreed, Amature Chookz, andrewschooks, Appleton Australorps, arvoducks, Ash Maree, auctioneer, Avi Rare Breeds, Ayam Cemani, Backyard Chicken Chat, Backyard fowl, BaliDuckz, Bantam Rhode Island Red, Bantamenance, Barnywood, beakybird, bearfred, BeatenEgg, Beaudesert Mandarins, Ben Newton, benalla park, Bendigo Poultry, BigDucksOz, BigQuackers, birds101, Birds4u, birdsrock, blackdotte, blackleghorn, BlackSwan, Blackswan1, Blue Australorps, bluefirelady, Bob Brookes, BokBok2, Boolaroo, Booths Bantams, Boxwood, Brad M, brerrabbit, BriansPeas, broken bird, BROOKES POULTRY, BT Homestead, Buff Pekins, Buggsy, BushPig, ButtercupBreedGroup, BYC, byhookorchook, Cackles, caladenia, Caladenia Cottage, Calum H, Cammo Qld, CamsBantams, Carawatha Chickens, Cashmere, castaway chicken, cc's poultry, Charmhaven Chooks, Cheesman Chooks, chicken-boy, Chicken07, chickenlittle, Chickens Mad, Chickhorn, Chook Lady, chookasaurus, chookgirl, chookiebum, ChookieG, ChookMamma, ChookMum, Chooks Galore, Chooks R Us, chookslife, chookyinoz, Christine Shaw, Chukar, Cliff Wyandotte Bantams, CluckyDeb, coastalchookies, Colac Sussex, ColacWaterfowl, Collector Peafowl, Connor Peafowl, cookie, Cordelia, Country Bird, CountryChookz, Cowhide, CrackerChook, Crash, Daggy Guineas, Daniel Lawton, Danny, Danny Brown, darrssy, daviburn, Deb Thomas, debbilee, Denis, Desborough Birds, Dianne Carter, DillDale, Dodds Birds, DragonsDen, Dreaming Guineas, duckyfromoz, Duckz44, Eason Chooks, Eat Chooks, Ecovald, eggnog, EggSellent, eggy, eugenia, Fancychooklady, Farmer Benji, Feathers01, Flash, FlockPheasants, fluff fur & feathers, FluffyBum Silkies, FowlMan, Fraggle, Fraser Island, FrogLeap, Furze Chooks, Gaggle of Geese, Gamebreeder, GavinGoose, geckodan, Ginny, girlfriday, Glen Fowler, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Golden Pond, Goodwin Ducks, Goulburn Heritage Poultry, grabby, GreenWest, Greg Davies, GUINEA FOWL, guinea fowl galore, Guinea owner, guineafowl, GuineaHomer, Haggis, HAPPYHENS, Hardfeather, Hawkes, heggie, Heidi F, Heijo, Helenchooks, Henny Penny, HillbillyGirlWA, Ian B, infoaddict, Isa Brown, Isachooks, Island Fowl, Ivan J, J Hicks, jaffa, Jane Stewart, Janelle Marshall, Jane's Chooks, jap jumbo quails, jarryd, Jeff Duncan, Jen71, Jersey Giant, Jimboomba Poultry, John Cole, John Pike, johnstoneparksussex, JonksGuineas, jose, Josh Welsummers, jr, JRA, Judith King, Judy Appleton, Julie Hart, Kalimna Heritage Poultry, kardella poultry, Karlisa, Katy, KAZZA64, KellyP, KEMPSEY NAKED NECKS, Ken Johnstone, kezabel, Khaki_Ducks, Kin Kin Silkies, Kingscote Chickens, klw, konopiste, KoopKing, kowie, KT, kyall3, LadyAmherst21, lanceview, Lawnton Poultry, Lesley Thomson, Leslie Cooper, Lilly, Linda P, Linz, Lozzy, LozzyR, LueT, luvmychook, madrex, MamasPyjamas, Mannie, Marengo Heritage Poultry, Margret Young, MaryJ, MaryJanet, Matt Knight, MattsGuineas, Mcginniss Fowl, meander, Melanie Y, MemoryLane, Milo, MinistryofDucks, Minorca&AndalusianStud, MinorcaCoop, mitchell07, MitchesMarans, Monique, Monto Poultry, MrPeabody, Mrpeewee, Ms Frankie, mummaroo, mycoola, Myflockoblues, mysticviews, NanangoGuineaBoy, NellyG, NEP, NepeanBirds, New England Watefowl, NightMare, Noel Cox, NSW King Quails, NZ Pekin Queen, Oaklands, Oldmanrooster, Olivia N, ONE TREE HILL, Ozchook, ozflock, ozguineafowl, ozibirds, O'Connor Sumatras, P_Edwards, Pam, Peafowland, peamad, pearcey, PeepGuineafowl, Perth Pigeons, perthchooks, Peter Mead, Phil Thomas, PHILL, Pitts_Poultry, pj hatchery, Podgie, PossumCorner, Poulsen, Poultry, Poultry Hoarder, Poultry Matters, Poultry mum, Poultry Rare Breeds, poultrynut, PrestigePeafowl, Pretty boy, Priens Fowl, prorooster, Prouten, QuailFarmer, QuailQueenGC, QuailTales, Quailz, Quamby Chickens, Rainbow Chickens, Rawlinson, realimagery, redeyekeet, redjohanna, Reeves Family, Rhiannan H, Rhode Red, Ricky Bobby, RJJ Fowl, Rob Smith, Rod Taylor, Roger Parkin, rollyard, Roma Runners, Rose, Roundyard, ruff, rwood, SantaClaws, Scots Grey Stud, seeing_spots, shairlyn, Sharni N, shayne, Shelly Roberts, silver duckwing game, Smallflock, snowball, South Aust Rouen Ducks, SouthernDucks, SouthSussex, Sparky, splash laced Wyandotte, springcreek, Stark Waterfowls, Stelan, Stephen Richards, Steve Davies, Stuart Turner, Sue Clarke, Sue Hall, Sue Sheppard, Sue Wards, sue55, sunrise, Sussex19, swiftwood pheasants, SwineoSam, SydneyOEG, T.A.S.S™ [Bot], TANYA, TazBarnies, The Barnyard, The Browns, The Chook Man, The Good Life, The Gotfeather, TheChookBlock, Toolern Vale Fowl, Trany Naked Neck, Tribe of Honk, Tropic Poultry, Trott Park, Trout Runner, Turkey Man, Vella Layer Hens, Vicki Joy, Victorian Waterfowl, Violet Town, W Brown, warmblood, Webbs Orpingtons, WendyT, white modern game, Whittlesea Poultry, whittls, wildman, winglet, Wombatbird, Wonderful Silkies, Wongarra Poultry, Wood Duck, WotTheFlock, Yvette and 5679626 guests