AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Two more hens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:40 am 
Offline
 
 

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:31 am
Posts: 165
Hello, Maggie from Clifton Beach in Queensland
I am 82 and have six lovely lady hens that keep me with fresh eggs every day
I would like to add two more hens but have been told that can be upsetting to my old girls and the new hens can be picked on
I would be so grateful for some advice and help please.


Maggie

_________________
Thank You
Maggie


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two more hens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:57 am 
Offline
 
 
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 5:52 pm
Posts: 23400
I use the Sleeping Intro and works good
The easiest way to add new chook to your flock is to sneak it in while everyone is sleeping. Place the chickens on perches and leave them. Let all of your chooks wake up together in the morning. Your Chickens will notice something is new, but they aren’t as likely to bully the new chooks.

apf_no1

_________________
“My mother is a fake fat pig that needs a 4wd just to fit her massive fat ass”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two more hens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:02 am 
Offline
 
 
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 2:26 pm
Posts: 15
Location: Northern Beaches
when i do it i put the new hens in a small coop next to the big coop with my flock and let them get used to each other for about 1 week then let all of the chooks out together to free range. Then that night lock them all up in the big coop and thats it. you still get the occasional peck but nothing to worry about and usually buy 2 weeks they are all old friends

good luck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two more hens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:20 am 
Offline
 
 

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:31 am
Posts: 165
Thank you so much for all the help and advice its so wonderful to get help so quickly
I will try the night introduction and if that fails, I will get my great grandson to make a small run next to the cage

I did try another forum but its broken and they ignored my emails asking for help, I so wish a came here first

Thank you so much

Love

Maggie

_________________
Thank You
Maggie


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two more hens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:29 am 
Offline
 
 
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 5:52 pm
Posts: 23400
We just love to help chooky people :-D

Sounds like you looked at "Fakeyard Poultry" and as you found out a complete waste of time.

I got your email address from your profile and I have sent you a very disturbing bio on "FYP" and all the horror facts, its an eye opener :shock:

Let us know how you get on with the new hens into

_________________
“My mother is a fake fat pig that needs a 4wd just to fit her massive fat ass”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two more hens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:27 am 
Offline
 
 
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 2:24 pm
Posts: 1689
cc's poultry wrote:
when i do it i put the new hens in a small coop next to the big coop with my flock and let them get used to each other for about 1 week then let all of the chooks out together to free range. Then that night lock them all up in the big coop and thats it. you still get the occasional peck but nothing to worry about and usually buy 2 weeks they are all old friends

good luck

Hi Maggie, [smilie=welcome.gif] to the forum
I use the same method as CC and works well. Does take about 1 week but they do accept the new hen/s well after that

_________________
J Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two more hens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:19 pm 
Offline
 
 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:51 pm
Posts: 3764
Location: Victoria
TW MEMBER: Yes
Olivia N wrote:
I use the Sleeping Intro and works good
The easiest way to add new chook to your flock is to sneak it in while everyone is sleeping. Place the chickens on perches and leave them. Let all of your chooks wake up together in the morning. Your Chickens will notice something is new, but they aren’t as likely to bully the new chooks.

apf_no1

I have not heard of this method but will try it next time I need to replace an old worn out layer hen than657

_________________
Fill every day of your life with honesty and truth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two more hens
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:19 am 
Offline
 
 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:05 pm
Posts: 9054
Location: Salisbury
Squeaker wrote:
cc's poultry wrote:
when i do it i put the new hens in a small coop next to the big coop with my flock and let them get used to each other for about 1 week then let all of the chooks out together to free range. Then that night lock them all up in the big coop and thats it. you still get the occasional peck but nothing to worry about and usually buy 2 weeks they are all old friends

good luck

Hi Maggie, [smilie=welcome.gif] to the forum
I use the same method as CC and works well. Does take about 1 week but they do accept the new hen/s well after that

I do the same for not just the layer hens but all the fowls and even ducks and geese, it's the best way I think

_________________
MONEY can't buy happiness....but it can buy a fake forum called FYP aka backyard poultry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two more hens
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:57 pm 
Offline
 
 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:54 pm
Posts: 4
Location: Australia
cc's poultry wrote:
when i do it i put the new hens in a small coop next to the big coop with my flock and let them get used to each other for about 1 week then let all of the chooks out together to free range. Then that night lock them all up in the big coop and thats it. you still get the occasional peck but nothing to worry about and usually buy 2 weeks they are all old friends

good luck

This info is GOLD! thank you so so much, I was searching the internet and this popped up last night and its just the question and answer I was looking for

than657 so much guys this forum is a gold mine of help and info woohoo4


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two more hens
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:51 am 
Offline
 
 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:11 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Logan
Yes, thank you from me also had no idea about adding new hens really have no idea about bird's full stop
Thanks again for all the info on the forum it's just amazing place to come every day


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 10 hours


Who is on the Forum

Users browsing this forum: 70%cocoa, andrewschooks, Ben Newton, Bing [Bot], Cackles, caladenia, cc's poultry, Chicken07, Cordelia, Danny, FowlMan, Fraggle, HAPPYHENS, Katy, MattsGuineas, mycoola, Olivia N, P_Edwards, Pam, Podgie, redjohanna, sue55, T.A.S.S™ [Bot] and 5379961 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron

A.P.F - Australian Poultry Forum TM 1566349 all rights reserved 2002 - 2022

APF supports

Stop Forum Spam