AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:46 pm 

Hi Jeff! Thanks for that - some bedtime reading. :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:56 am 

Thanks Jeff, :-D

I don't have belgians but I found it very interesting and I feel can be related to other breeds of the same or similar colour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:58 pm 

From my understanding you could apply it to others like Pekins.

I found those link really good too.

Glad I could help

Jeff chicken.gif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:30 pm 

it doesn't matter if the bird is a pekin a belgian or an oeg, the genetics works the same, so the information on that site is tranferrable to all breeds of poultry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:23 pm 

Ive dabbled a little in varoius colours including some pekins
Lavender is definately a recessive however, I is dominant white, i+ is wild type non dominate . (recessive).
lavender would be, lav recessive X lav recessive,
Millefluer would be a combination of many genes, mottling, wheaton,darkbrown, gold & many more
Chances of casual mating between lav X millfleur brother sister x ing (f2) producing a millefluer would be so high as to be almost incalculable
however 25% should be lavender
I suggest a book "poultry breeding & genetics" Edited by RD crawford.
It weighs a ton and costs a packet but its a comprehensive collection from many of poultry genitics best minds.Takes a lot to bash through but worth it.
There is a woman in Nth qld I have spoken to who has developed both lav & millifluer and showed them (millfluer last year Lavs for many years )in her locals shows (champ aoc for millfluer last year apparently)
She has been working on them for years (since mid 90's)so definately wasnt a casual xing to produce
I intend to travel up there for a look later this year so will get some pics, if I can figure how to put them on here I will.
I will be on a bike so wont be able to get any unfortunately

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:49 pm 

Hi blackdave,

Thanks for your interesting input! I'd love to see some photos if you manage to get some.

This was a bit of an experiment because I didn't have a working millefleur roo, and thought my lavender hen was infertile. I now have two lavender pekin cockerels (hopefully they'll improve in type as they grow up) and four cute, lovely, useless, odd-coloured crossbred cockerels! Much to learn. :roll: ;)

Deb :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:14 pm 

My brother and I developed Lavender many years ago. Talk to peacocks australia they have real millefleur pekins I believe :-D

Cheers Drew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:32 pm 

Quote:
Lavender is definately a recessive however, I is dominant white, i+ is wild type non dominate . (recessive).

In my post when referring to recessive lavenders it was a small L (l) not I (i) so I think I may have been misunderstood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:09 pm 

Excellent Drew
do you have some pics?
save a long ride. But I do like the ride anyway
As I say with fishing, its the journey not the result
love to see some pics of the millefluers
have you showed them at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:57 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

I am looking forward to seeing some pictures of some of your Lavenders you developed. I love the colour.
Also I am confused "sorry" the millefleur pekin.What do you mean by real?I thought they would all be the same. Why would say Peacocks Australia be real and say anyones else's not. I know nothing of genetics so maybe that is the problem. I also saw somewhere and it may have been on another forum that you also have lemon cuckoo. How long have you had them. Everyone I know of who has had a go has had a colour problem with the lemon.Sorry for my lack of knowledge here people

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next