AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:16 pm 

That's a good question, chadandlori.

I can't say I recall seeing Australorp hens for sale anywhere recently.

I've seen Light Sussex hens going for between $20 and $60 depending on quality (even more at auctions). I would expect Australorps to go for similar prices.

If I was to sell three of my 30 week old girls, they'd go for at least $100 ... a slight premium to the amount that might be considered "normal" because I would be very reluctant to part with them...and despite earlier concerns, they're looking very nice.

I reckon if you could pick up three girls for less than $60 ($20 ea), you should snap them up.

I look forward to replies from those with direct knowledge and experience with Australorps.

Post subject: Re: price for australorps
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:20 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

chadandlori wrote:
What is a good price to pay for 3 australorp hens?

I would expect to pay anywhere between $15 and $110 for an Australorpe hen depending on it's type and genetics , If you can get really good ones I would go for them as after your initial out lay , your costs will be the same , but your returns will be a lot higher .

It Really depends on whether you want to eat your eggs or hatch them ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:46 pm 

I am not sure of the breed my chooks are as they were day olds when I got them from the feedbarn for $4.00 ea and I can't seem to stop them laying :shock:
Maybe it was the threat of the camp oven done by my other half but geez girls give the butt a rest.

They are a light ginger colour if that helps.

Take Care
Deb :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:08 pm 

Commercial hens are definitely good at what they do.

There are some for $3 each in the Gatton Star this week, chadandlori

Now is probably a good time to get them too. If they're not laying now, they shouldn't be far off.

But as pointed out previously, they won't live as long as others (eg. pure breeds)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:13 pm 

:shock: Oh My goodness I hope my girls aren't those type, I love them to death and they are happy and Lay happy eggs.

I want them to live a long and happy life :(

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: price for australorps
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:21 pm 

]

I would expect to pay anywhere between $15 and $110 for an Australorpe hen depending on it's type and genetics , If you can get really good ones I would go for them as after your initial out lay , your costs will be the same , but your returns will be a lot higher .

It Really depends on whether you want to eat your eggs or hatch them ;)[/quote]

How do you tell good genetics

Post subject: gatton star
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:24 pm 

greenaus wrote:
Commercial hens are definitely good at what they do.

There are some for $3 each in the Gatton Star this week, chadandlori

Now is probably a good time to get them too. If they're not laying now, they shouldn't be far off.

But as pointed out previously, they won't live as long as others (eg. pure breeds)

what is and where is the gatton star???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:25 pm 

moonshadow_dancer wrote:
I am not sure of the breed my chooks are as they were day olds when I got them from the feedbarn for $4.00 ea and I can't seem to stop them laying :shock:
Maybe it was the threat of the camp oven done by my other half but geez girls give the butt a rest.

They are a light ginger colour if that helps.

Take Care
Deb :)

do you have NE pics deb???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:37 pm 

I do somewher on my PC, I will post some and once cleared in the gallery will pm you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:08 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Genetics play a big factor , I don't want to get off topic , and we allready have a few threads that relate to genetics , but in short , You will get a well bred bird that will breed true to type ;)