AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Australorp Evolution ........
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:07 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

I wondered the same thing :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:37 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Well you've all heard of the 'Goondoowindi Grey' but... how many of you have heard of the The Warwick Wonder ?

The Warwick Wonder was an Australorp Pullet owned by ,Mr R. Burns of Warwick ,In a test lasting from the 4th of July 1926 to the 15th of december 1926 this Humble Aussie Fowl ,Created a world Record when she layed 165 eggs in 165 days .

The Same Australorp in the 1926-1927 'Darling Downs Egg Laying Competition' Layed 354 eggs in 365 days which 'at the time' also claimed a World Record .

In a Winter Test Taking in May, June, and July The Unbelievable 'WarwickWonder' Laid a Truly amazing 90 eggs They started at 2.10 oz at the start of the Test and finished at 2.25 oz

The weight of the Amazing 'Warwick Wonder'at the start of the winter test was 5lb When she weighed in at the end of it all , she stepped onto the scales a happy 7 pound .

The 'Warwick Wonder' Just another Humble Aussie ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:44 pm 

Bunyanuts,

"Warwick Wonder" hey? That's just beautiful. If you keep blowing the australorp trumpet they won't be so humble. It is a shame they don't have purebred fowl laying contests these days (or do they and I haven't heard of it?). Of course they would be much more expensive to run now meeting the animal ethics standards of today (that's a good thing though my chooks would go stir crazy in a battery cage). There could be some excellent results for research that could come out of such an event and it would get the breeding pens to concentrate on performance and looks.

I voted for you to be webmaster today so I hope you are keen. Ross seems to think you have what is required.

Bought myself a camera this morning so we should start putting some thumbnails on to discuss bad heads and the like. What's an evolution site without photo examples?

Cheers, Tiger

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:25 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

[smilie=a_rolling.gif] [smilie=a_rolling.gif] Funny guy's ... Actually I am keen , If I get the vote :-? , I can't make any promises though , But I have got The Support Role Filled ;) AKA Rachel :lol: and if it happens , I hoping to get a Bit of help from a few 'Voluntary Reporters' I'm sure their will be a few APFers ,with a camera and a notebook who'd love to go out taking Photo's of Australorps for us all on the weekends [smilie=a_cookiemonster.gif] , It'd be great if we can get them from all sides of the Island so we get good representation even that other little Island down the bottom . P.A is getting a Link set up which will help heaps , I think The Thumbnails Idea for discussing the Finer Points eg Bad Heads :lol: is a Great Idea . I might even try to make the Thumbnails Big enough so you actually see them this time :oops: :oops: (Sorry 'Bout That ) But if anyone has got any articles , photo's ,stories ,personal experiences , advice or whatever . Send them in and we'll see what we can do .

I should also mention Greg Davies or Greggles as he's known . Greg is Great Poultry Breeder and Exhibitionists , who has done a lot of Research on the Australorp amongst other Fowl . and is still contuing to do so . Greg has kindly Offered me permission to Use some of his works that he has written which is great . He has put a lot of time and effort into his Research and has written Some Great Poultry Articles , Thanks Greggles .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:57 pm 

bunyanuternie wrote:
I need some help , Pleeeeeease . would you mind Posting thumbnails for us in the Australorp Evolution Thread

Done!

What do you want me to do next?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:13 am 

You didn't tell me what you wanted "thumbnailed", but I'll assume in the Australorp Evolution thread you want an Australorp. This is my first time doing this, but since I'm following the instructions from http://australianpoultry.net/thumb/howtopostathumb.html I'm sure it will work.

I've previewed the post. It worked.

But, just so you know, I only succeeded when I followed the instructions. Before that, I took the position number from below your photo (3097) and ended up seeing the back end of Moonshadow Dancer's turkey.

http://paforumphotogallery.com/displayi ... ?pos=-3097

Here's another to make sure I'm capable of giving you the help you asked for.

...and a preview confirmed it worked. Now I'm going to hit Submit.

Fingers and eyes crossed....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:15 am 

Now let's get back to discussing the best breed ever.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:15 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

[smilie=a_rolling.gif] [smilie=a_rolling.gif] [smilie=a_rolling.gif] Great Thumbnails mate that's just what we were looking for [smilie=a_rolling.gif]

Serious though Great Job . Seeing as Tiger Suggested it and Greenaus had another great thread Regarding Australorp verses Langshan Combs , recently I reckon Headshots are as good a Place as any to start . I 've got a few we can compare with both Good and bad ,So I'll endeavor to post some as soon as I get a chance , I'm sure Tiger's pretty keen to try out his new Camera and Aunty has allready posted Piccies of some of her Heads ( good onya Aunty ) so she'll be good for some photo's and if anyone else who can help us out with some Headshots ,or feedback it would be much appreciated , Remember we're all here to help each other and one persons Thrash is another persons Treasure , What might not be necesarily considered the Ideal Australorp Head in one persons eye , might be well suited to breed with , in a balanced head . Remember in A Showfowl an Australorps head is worth 25 points .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:30 pm 

Edit: Until I edited this on 24 Aug this post consisted of three headshots of Ian's birds -- Butch, Bruce and Betty (Edit 3: Which were posted by Ian on the next page of this thread). They weren't the original ones in this post.

All attachments were lost in about July and when re-instated these must have got mixed up.

Last edited by greenaus on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:09 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Goodonya greenaus , I prefer Cockerel 3s in the top row the the one on the right , no. 3 has a nice black beak ,he's not to gypsy faced ,and his comb follows his skull the way they should , it's a Shame that serration in the middle isn't a bit more up and down , Now remember 'everyone' that's only my opinion and were actually all trying help each other here it's not a competition ,Good onya again for kickin us on mate . I'll try to get some headshots soon .

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 45  Next