AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Lemon Cuckoo pekin bantams
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:51 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

I posted some photos in the gallery last week on some lemon cuckoos.I have been developing this line for many years now and have been continually working on them since.However now I have come to a bit of a cross road and would like some input,suggestions on how to improve them.If anyone could spare some time and look at the photos then make some constructive suggestion I would greatly appreciate it.
When I first went public that I was working on this colour a gentleman offered me a $1000.00 a bird and wanted a trio.$3000.00.That was a lot of money to me.I declined the offer as it was and is very important to me to finish what I have started.To my knowledge there is also 1 other person working on them and we do have contact.We are keeping our lines totally separate so they will be 2 different bloodlines.I have seen this other persons line so I have no doubt they have them and they mine.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Lemon Cuckoo pekin bantams
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:30 pm 

Mummaroo,
Very interesting colour. I have to say I have not kept up with all the new colour patterns being developed and their naming (some are yet to be entered in the Aust Standard, so not sure on the naming of a non-colour). As I have seen some birds that people are calling a certain colour ( I won't mention here), however I see them as a colour cull of a already defind AS colour. Sorry the purist in me coming out.

In terms of your birds, I would call the colour buff cuckoo rather than lemon, a probably a bit dark for me. But nice and even in colour. Assuming the colour is fixed, your next move is to improve the type, size and feather quality. Comparing the photos to others of blacks and whites (generally have had the most work done on these colours, I have seen good birds in the other off-colours)To improve their type and feather, you could try breeding with a white. I would use a female (type from female, colour from male theory). Ensure that you select a bird that has the characterstics you want to improve in your birds. I would do some research of well estabilished breeders, and once I am happy buy a bird, you select it.
There are some lines of whites that have a tendency to be a bit brassy /yellow these lines may be a better option. I will not name the specific lines here, happy for PM. There are a few threads commenting on the dominant white and resessive white genetics.

Rhode Red

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:11 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

I have called these lemon cuckoo as they are lemon in colour.I have also got buff cuckoo and they are much darker.I am using Wheaton to improve the type of these birds rather than white as I feel it is better.So far I have had no problem and it has improved them a lot from when I first started.I am waiting on the chickens to grow out to see type.Thanks for your advice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:14 pm 

I have had a look and have to agree with Rhode Red the rooster is buff cuckoo in my opinion not lemon and the hens I would call light buff maybe on the way to lemon but again not true lemon but that is just my opinion. I have kept pekins in all colours for a long time and not seen the true lemon here as yet sorry I hope you do eventually breed them

This is a lemon cuckoo
Attachment:
lemon.jpg
lemon.jpg [ 17.24 KiB | Viewed 3104 times ]

NOT MINE
Mother Hen's Poultry
http://www.motherhenspoultry.com/apps/w ... ow/2082158

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:55 pm 

Something I learned from the breeding of Lemon Pencilled Hamburds, you must have cream to bring out lemon. You can find this referenced in R D Crwfords Poultry Breeding and Genetics.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:00 am 

Yes I think you're right and one of those hens pictures in the gallery maybe close to cream

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:55 am 

This is a good lemon cuckoo rooster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:34 am 

^ agree ^ but I will add that it’s not that easy to develop something new [I know firsthand with developing the lavender pekin] and in its best example so hats off to you for working on it yes you have some work to do but you will get there and yes use cream or you will never breed them light enough. The 2 pictures from TheSteptoeFarm are the real deal and yes they are true lemon so you have a yard stick to work to. Good luck and keep the pictures coming so we can watch your progress and help with advice from people who know what you’re trying to achieve and who know pekins. By the way I do like the look of both the cockerel and pullet you showed here but just watch the type but you can work more on that latter. Good luck
Cheers Drew Smith

Check out our web {not finished yet} http://www.wix.com/smithpekins/Super-Pekin-Stud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:41 pm 

I love that rooster and that hen in the pictures above they are stunning they would make a great pair, especially in my coop :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:52 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look at the photos and offer your help.I guess I am now going to look for lemon chooks in Australia. [smilie=thanks.gif] [smilie=thanks.gif]

Profile E-mail