AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: National leg ring system for all exhibitors
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:16 am 

If leg rings were allowed, how would you feel about a national leg ring system for all exhibitors? I think it has many merits and can confirm ownership ect... what do you think of this idea???

Last edited by PrizePullets on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ntional leg ring system for all exhibitors
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:51 am 

If the purpose is for identification and proof of ownership then Micro Chipping is more effective and legally binding.
I see problems with a leg ring in that there would be a cost to administer the scheme,every set of rings would have to have an identifier relating to the breeder which judges could/would know and identify the exhibitor. Every transaction and transfer of ownership would need to be recorded and the only body capable of doing so would be the government, then costs would surely rise and do we want government interferance and control of our hobby.
Leg rings can be removed for any reason, are you then going to allow fowls to be shown that do not have rings ( imagine they would need to be placed on at a young age to be permanent) if so how do you get around a breeder who does not ring his fowls or if not an exhibitor who buys a good fowl and wishes to show.
The system as it is now has worked for many many years why tamper with it, if it is not broke why try and fix it.
For my point "NO" I would not support it.
Microchip by all means for your own records and knowledge or toe punch for identification, use removable leg rings at home for purposes of identification and breeding.
The system of permanent identification for other species has not worked in some instances as it was envisaged and is subject to abuse and tampering by unscrupulous participants, even horses and cattle that are branded and/or tattooed are at times subject to tampering for purposes of personal gain.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:40 pm 

My way of thinking is on how it can work.

We follow the budgerigar clubs of Australia

For example

2011 ring colour is purple
Each breeder orders their rings from the ring Stewart of their club, in this example his club is the Wyandotte club of Australia
Breeder A orders 200 rings from his clubs ring Stewart and he receive his rings in January and he gets the ring numbers between 300 and 500

So the rings would be something like this

2011 (year) WA (club initials) 300 (the number) the next ring would be, 2011WA301, 2011WA302, 2011WA303 ect......................

Now only the ring Stewart has the information on who owns the rings and that information is not given to any judge and any time.

So in summary every breeder in Australia would have the same colour for that year but unique numbers and each year the colour changes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:27 pm 

Well thought out concept a credit to you. Seems the exhibition fraternity is a long way behind most other hobbies and so resistant to change

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:08 pm 

Now, please explain the life changing benifits to come from such a scheme.
I may be dull but fail to see any advantage, and no not a long way behind or slow to adapt to change.
On many occasions and in most instances at the forefront of change and new initiatives.
I've been involved in administering identification schemes and the possibilities for abuse.
I've also been the secretary and show secretary, all these things mean more work for someone else not the initiator or vocal supporters.
Sorry if I offend, my last word on the subject.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:25 pm 

My comments were not directed at you Oaklands sorry if it reads that way that was not my intention and I apologize if it does. It was directed at many clubs that hate any change and resist for the sake of resistance. The benefits are age recognition and own bred recognition as I see it from a show perspective. As for a breeder well there are many benifits such as breeder recognition ect...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:24 am 

All comments are welcome and thank you oaklands for your thoughts. Exhibit Poultry, I agree with you I think there is allot to gain but using leg ring like most other hobbies do

Post subject: Re: National leg ring system for all exhibitors
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:24 pm 

I use rings with my breeding stock now and find it the best tracking option

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:17 pm 

I too use the split metal rings now and as I don't show it doesn't matter but they are for me the best way to keep records quick and easy I can look from a distance to know who is who. I think it makes perfect sense to all them on show fowl as they do with every other breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:36 pm 

Thanks for commenting its good to see many think the same way

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next