AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:14 pm 

Exhibiting Poultry
Excerps from the "4-H Poultry Production Projects - Exhibiting Poultry for Pleasure" manual
Selecting Birds for the Pullet Show

During the growing phase, look for outstanding individuals in the flock. Use plastic leg bands to identify the best birds so that when show time arrives you will know which birds to catch.

The most popular kinds of pullets used in the 4H Pullet Show and Sale Project are Black SexLinks, Red SexLinks, and Rhode Island Reds.

The Black SexLink and the Red SexLink are not pure breeds. Most county fairs, however, have classes in the 4H division available for the sexlinks.

These birds are intended to be used primarily as replacement stock for layers. The emphasis for selection, therefore, is based mainly on body conformation and sexual maturity, with some consideration given to the head, feathering, feet, and toes. You should look for certain characteristics and qualities when selecting birds for show and sale.

The Head

The head should be broad and somewhat flat on top rather than round, wide between the eyes, and moderately long. The face should be clean cut, smooth, and wrinkle-free. The skin should be fine grained and soft in texture, the comb substantial in size and rich in color. The eyes should be large and bright with the irises a rich reddish bay color, and the pupils distinctly round.

Sexual Maturity

The comb, wattles, and earlobes should be well developed.

Body Conformation

The body should be broad, deep, and well developed. This is important for adequate intestinal development, which is needed for quick digestion and absorption of food necessary for good egg production. Body depth can be determined by placing your thumb on the hip bone and spanning with your hand and fingers the sides of the body to the keel bone in front and in back of the legs.

To measure heart girth, turn the bird on her side, back toward you, with your thumb on the back near the juncture of the wings and body and your middle finger on the front of the keel. The heart girth should be deep, allowing plenty of room for the heart and lungs.

Feathering

Pullets should be fully feathered with the plumage in good condition.

Feet and Toes

The pullet should be well balanced on her legs. The feet and toes should be normal.

Fancy Breeds and Varieties of Poultry

There are about 175 varieties of chickens grouped into 12 classes and nearly 60 breeds. Class is based on place of origin such as the American Class, the Asiatic Class, the English Class, and the Mediterranean Class.

Breed sorts birds within a class by body shape and size, such as Leghorn breed in the Mediterranium Class, and the Rhode Island Red breed in the American Class.

Variety is a further breakdown of breed and is based on feather color, feather pattern, and/or comb type. Thus the Plymouth Rock may be white, barred, or one of many other colors.

In addition to chickens of normal sizes, there are miniatures of many breeds. They are usually onefourth to onefifth the size of regular chickens, and are called bantams.

If you get a chance, visit a poultry show. It can be lots of fun. You will see many breeds and varieties of poultry. People who raise and exhibit poultry are known as poultry fanciers. They enjoy their hobby and take great pride in raising chickens to compete in poultry shows.

If you would like to raise and show the fancier breeds of chicken, ask your county Extension agent for a copy of "Growing HobbyType Chickens."

Preparing Birds for Show

The pullets should be clean and free from lice and mites. This improves their appearance and makes a good impression on the judge.

Materials for Washing Birds

Three washtubs Sponge

Mild soapflakes Soft toothbrush

Malathion, 50 percent wettable powder

Towels

Place three washtubs containing clean water on a bench at a convenient height. Use one tub for washing and two for rinsing. Put warm water (about 95F) and some soap flakes in the first tub. Also, add 1 1/4 ounces of 50 percent Malathion wettable powder per gallon of water. The malathion removes any external parasites. Do not use detergent compounds, because they are harsh and will cause brittle feathers.

Rest the bird on the palm of one hand, holding the wing tip with the thumb and fourth finger, and immerse in the soapy water. Do not put the bird's head under water. Lather the feathers well, using a sponge so soap and water penetrate to the skin. Always rub with the grain of the feathers to prevent breakage.

If the shanks and feet are dirty, brush them with a soft toothbrush.

When the bird is clean, transfer it to the second tub. The water temperature should be around 85F. Soak the bird for two minutes, and then draw it through the water three or four times against the grain of the feathers to work out as much soap as possible. The third tub is also for rinsing. The water temperature should be about 75F to accustom the birds to the cooler air temperature.

When the bird has been washed, towel dry, and slip it into a grooming sleeve. A grooming sleeve is a canvas cone open at both ends with 2 1/2inch opening at the small end and a nineinch opening at the large end. Slip the bird's head through the large opening and out the small end. Fold over the large end. With the bird in the sleeve, you can clean the head and feet.

Put the bird into a clean coop, in a warm area with plenty of clean straw or wood shavings and let it dry. Wash birds 48 hours before showing.

Reduce drying time by using a hand held hair blow dryer.

REFERENCES

American Bantam Association, 1976. Bantam Standard. P. O. Box 464, Chicago, Illinois.

American Poultry Association, 1974. The American Standard of Perfection. Box 337, Great Falls, Montana.

Bastien, R. W., and H. C. Goan, 1981. Growing Hobbytype Chickens. 4H Poultry Publication, Unit 5, Grade 9, Publication No. 985, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee.

Cawley, W. O., 1973. Conditioning Standard Bred Poultry and Bantams for the Show Room, Publication No. MP1006, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas.

Harting, T. E., 1975. My 4H Poultry Project, Publication No. M12000, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado.

Stromberg, L., 1978. Exhibiting Poultry for Pleasure and Profit. Stromhery Publishing Company, Minnesota.

TOT

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How to prepare my chook for a show
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:14 am 

Is there a minimum age for showing a chicken :?:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:28 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Pullet and Cockerel Classes are the youngest ,To do well you need to have them at point of lay or just started at the time of the show .

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:52 pm 

All this is exception info for us new comers. I attended a show recently and found it hard to get information from the club as they don't put out a 'how to show' pamphlet so having it here on the internet is even better as it reaches so many people. Many thanks for the info

Cowen Family

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:34 pm 

now with my pekins i have heard that when there feathers on there feet split you have to grow them back agin. but i have a show in 2 mounths time mit the feathers form back or should i be wored???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:41 pm 

The comb, wattles, and earlobes should be well developed as per standard

This would mean pullets & cockerals would not meet the standard and not be judged

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:11 pm 

I have Black langshans and I found that feeding black poultry sunflower seeds for like 2 weeks before the show, the black colour will be shiny and the black would've darkened.

half a cup every three days for 2 weeks (worked for me)
wav.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:11 pm 

sunflower seed is good for horses as well i hear it shines up there coats. just like charlie01 said
Q: is it good for coloured chooks not just black???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:38 pm 

What do you use to wash your show entries with?

Is baby shampoo the preferred cleaner?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:47 pm 

I use Liquid Castile Soap cleans them up nicely and give a nice shine

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next