AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: How to prepare my chook for a show
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:05 pm 

I thought I would put this post in pending the excitement of the on line poultry show. :-D :-D

I would like to know ALL there is to know about how to prepare my chooks for show. So can we get something rolling here.

Previously we had some discussion about how to get a chook use to the showing cage but a revisit seems timely.

I would like to know things like how do I wash them to have them looking good for the show. That includes drying and then keeping them clean :shock: Do I need to pay particular attention to the legs, beak, vent etc and is there some secret pultry business here I need to know that some experienced showers could share. :) :)

How do I stand them for photos for the judges to judge? :-?

Where should I take the photos, with the bird in the cage at home or chase it all around the paddock in the hope I get a good one :roll:

How many photos do I need to take (not counting all the duds I managed) and post?

and the list goes on but I don't know what I am to do. :( :shock: :-?

Not too many books on it in my library especially with the change over and amalgamation of councils and their assets.

Post subject: Re: How to prepare my chook for a show
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:43 pm 
­
­

County Lodge wrote:
I thought I would put this post in pending the excitement of the on line poultry show. :-D :-D

I would like to know ALL there is to know about how to prepare my chooks for show. So can we get something rolling here.

Previously we had some discussion about how to get a chook use to the showing cage but a revisit seems timely.

I would like to know things like how do I wash them to have them looking good for the show. That includes drying and then keeping them clean :shock: Do I need to pay particular attention to the legs, beak, vent etc and is there some secret pultry business here I need to know that some experienced showers could share. :) :)
Wash them 24 hours before you want to Photograph them and place them in a cage with wood shavings on the floor (don't let them back in the pen) basically yes to all areas of the bird but particularly the vent area.

How do I stand them for photos for the judges to judge? :-?
Start a few or several days before you want to take the Photos by placing them in the Box or area you want to use. Do this at least once a day and after a couple of days take some mock photos to get he or she used to the camera clicks. Another good trick is to put them in a small cage in a "Traffic Area" by this we mean a position were you & the family will walk right passed them regularly and you can use a Radio for noise acclimatization.

Where should I take the photos, with the bird in the cage at home or chase it all around the paddock in the hope I get a good one :roll:
We use a Show Box with no front approx 900x900mm and painted light blue. A good trick is to let them out of the pen on their own for a while, they tend to co-operate better after a good run on the Grass (keep them away from sand).

How many photos do I need to take (not counting all the duds I managed) and post?
You need "5" see: http://australianpoultry.net/onlineshow.html

and the list goes on but I don't know what I am to do. :( :shock: :-?

Not too many books on it in my library especially with the change over and amalgamation of councils and their assets.

This is a good link which will help: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PS037

Thanks
P.A :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:52 pm 

Wow :!: gee thanks PA you are a wealth of information. Still building chook pens how am I goin' to build a blue chook show box as well within the next couple of weeks.

I'm only a girl u'no. Maybe I could hang blue curtains or som'in instead :?: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:01 pm 
­
­

County Lodge wrote:
I'm only a girl u'no. Maybe I could hang blue curtains or som'in instead :?: :shock:

:lol: :lol: that would work :lol:

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:23 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Is their any special reason you use light blue ? Or does it just compliment the birds, Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:17 pm 

hi all on the show topic is there a speacal food that will bring out the colours of a bird better than normal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:34 am 

good questions

I wait with fish breath ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:09 pm 
­
­

bunyanuternie wrote:
Is their any special reason you use light blue ? Or does it just compliment the birds, Ian

Hi Ian, yes it's a neutral colour and highlights the bird’s features, we use a matt finish to help avoid camera glare.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:16 pm 
­
­

stuart wrote:
hi all on the show topic is there a speacal food that will bring out the colours of a bird better than normal

Hi Stuart, Corn, Silverbeet are very good (corn in small doses) Fruit is also good but not Watermelon, Strawberries as they will stain the feathers, particularly with breeds like Silkies who tend to put their whole head in the watermelon :-D A continuous good diet should keep them in good feather.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:46 pm 

ok thannks i got heaps of silver beet