AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: pigeon questions????
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:33 pm 

hey guys.. i have had pigeons for around an year now and only four of the thirty or soo eggs that have beeen layed have actually hatched. :cry: :cry: .. my aviary is around 7 X 3.5 meters.i have around 20 pigeons. is it too small for such a number ?? i don understand what iam doing wrong??? i change their water every two days ( one where they can bath and one where they drink)??? what am i doing wrong?? and how can i hand raise a baby pigeon ( if i ever get any :( ) ? can anyone ever give me some hints??

P.S im soo sorry about the countless questions :oops: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:45 am 

hi chicken lova first dont worry about the questions theres only one way to learn,

now do you have nest boxes in the cage?

when you smash the eggs are there chicks in there?

are the pigeons being fed daily and what are you feeding them?

how long have you had the last pigeon you bought as you may be able to let them out and they will be able to get lots of exersize and pick at grases and other stuff.

just check that they dont have worms and/or lice/mites?

other wise i ont now why there not breeding

stuart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:47 am 
­
­

Hi Chicken lova, your aviary is not too small as you have around a square meter per bird which is ok if you also let them out each day to exercise? This is quite important for breeding some species of pigeon’s particularly racing, tumblers, ect.. You should try to change their water daily if possible and don't let them bath in drinking water, add supplement vitamins in the water for 5-7 days every 3 months. Hand raising squabs is quite easy and the milk formula is not expensive but they will need to be fed 5 or 6 times a day at the same time each day. This link should give you more info: http://www.birdkeepinginaustralia.com/a ... icle3.html

What do you feed them?
How often do you feed them?
Do you let them out to exercise? (Only homing domestic - not fruit pigeons)

Please ask as many questions as you want.

Thanks
P.A :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: yess
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:47 pm 

yess.. i have nest boxes in my cage
yess. there are dead chicks inside the egg.. i just saw it today( not another one :shock: )
the pigeons are feed daily. i buy them both the wild bird mix and the pigeon mix in the 20-30 kg bags. i even feed them twice a day and always make sure there there is left overs on the ground
The last pigeons that i bought were like a month ago
how do i check if they have lice, mites or worms
They are breeding and i even see them mating but the problem is hatching the eggs..
from now on i will try to change their water daily but how do i keep them from bathing in the drinking water?? i have three drinking bowls
what are the supplements called ?? do they have a specific name for the pigeons or are they just in general for any bird?
i never let them go as one of my four baby pigeons that hatched flew away and never came back..
but one of the adults, before being paired i let go because he was aggressive and he always came back so i caught him and now he is paired with one of the girls.. he used to go away for three to four days and come back.. why didn't the baby pigeon come back??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:37 pm 

hi again it looks like your doing all the right things
to stop them going in there water make it deep so the cant stand up in the bowl.

they most likely have worms and lice to check for lice and mites just look on there feathers, flight feathers usually have lice(dont worry worms and mites/lice are very common in pigeons)
i would recomend a spray for lice and garlic in the water for worms.
i think the baby pigeon you let go must have been eaten by something or someone may have traped it as i had a pigeon come back to me after 2 years.
and i would fly your pigeons just keep an eye out for them ie.look out for dogs,cats,birds of prey

note:pigeons and doves are very aggresive by nature it makes you think why a dove is a symbol of peace. :lol:

any more questions just ask

Post subject: more questions??
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:57 pm 

hey guys again....

for the garlic in the water, do i have to crush it or just peel it and chuck it in?
i just found out that two pairs of my pigeons have started laying ( YESSS lol :-D ))
Congratulations Stuart for the birds return. did u give it a 'welcome back' ceremony lol? :-D ((at least you got two years worth of food for free for a pigeon lol , you should send the owner a thank you card lol))))

thats it for now lol.. cheers guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:06 pm 

well done on your eggs and to tell the truth about the bird he became dog food :( :lol:

and yes just vcrush the garlic and throw it in

Post subject: sorryy lol
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:14 pm 

ok i will try that... just couple more questions ( i hope :-? :-? )... sorry im being a pain in the you know what but here goes....

if i let out my pigeons will they....
still hatch in the avairy or leav?
When the babies hatch do they also stay or leave the place?

cheers :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:56 pm 

if your last pigeon has been with you for a month they should stay i would let them out and the young will stay and they will still hatch the eggs

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:03 pm 

ok thanks alot guys... thats it for now( BOUT TIME lol)))))

:-D :-D