AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Any idea if this person is male or female yet?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:01 pm 

I purchased the Black chook and the cream hen in the summer for $25 each as "bantams" from a woman calling herself a breeder....yeah..righto....neither have grown to be bantams and the black one is twice the size of my Isa Browns....can you tell if I have a rooster on my hands...it has the most fantastic characteristics and funniest personality so I am hoping for a girl.......what do you think.....they were tiny in Feb

photo will not come up sorry

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 16.47 KiB | Viewed 6900 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 38.63 KiB | Viewed 6880 times ]

Last edited by Doolan on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Any idea if this person is male or female yet?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:35 pm 

Try resizing the photo and making it smaller otherwise wait until she starts crowing then you'll know it's sex.

We once bought three 6 week pullets from a so called reputable breeder who told us they were ALL female and ALL the same age, even the one that was BIGGER than the other two who turned out to be a rooster! Some, please not that I am saying SOME and NOT ALL breeders take newcomers for a ride.

Buyer beware...Just do your research before you buy.

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all life is too short to be anything but happy."
Karl Marx, Composer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:28 pm 

My money is on a girl! :-D

She (I say she because I'm being positive) has a nice fluffy bottom and sweet little features.

Stay positive!

[smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:21 pm 

I think it is a rooster going by the feathers they look too pointy for a hen,
I would have thought it would be more developed by now tho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:31 pm 

Oh nooooooooooooo

Going to post another photo tomorrow as (she) has changed so much past week....size of a goose now..legs like an emu...runs with arms stretched out like a lunatic...I just laugh so much..gunna hate to part with this crazy bird if it is a boy...

Love your positive attitude Chicka-dee......xxxxxx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:50 am 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

black = future rooster = rooster once they turn 1yr old or go thru their first moult

currently it is a cockerel = younger than 1yr old and not gone thru first moult

have to ask = what breed it this bird supposed to be as only the larger breeds take a long time to show their age

the tail hackles and head gear appear to be developing, indicating a cockerel - a good side on shot at the level with the bird would be a better pic of course

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:36 am 

Attachment:
chook1.jpg
chook1.jpg [ 17.54 KiB | Viewed 6797 times ]
here is a photo from today......someone said an Australorp Langshan mix.....I really don't think I can let this one go to another family ...I am in love....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:24 pm 

I don't know........

I think she looks very pretty

I'm not seeing what you're seeing soozorps, but then I'm not as experienced at picking these things as you :-D

Does she have any little bumps forming at the back of her legs? My Clyde had little bumps that are starting to get bigger now but he had little ones when he was about 5 months old plus he stood more upright, like he was standing up with his chest out.

Just trying to stay positive for "it" being a girl :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:38 pm 

Oh good..you are as obsessed as me Chicka-dee....funny, just looking at that today..the back of legs...yes tiny weeny bumps...SHE..does stand very very tall and stands up to the wildbirds but the other hens bully her dreadfully..so,if I got her in March thinking I was buying a bantam (think lady said that due to her hairy legs) chook legs not lady...so she must have been tiny then....guessing must be six months old now at most...surely I would have got an egg by now...

How do you go with noise and neighbours with your boy? Do you put him away in a low box at night or are you lucky with him?

The honking noise SHE makes is very goose like...not very feminine at all must say happy_duck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:52 pm 

Hmmm, thems not positive girly signs there Doolan conf665

I'm now swayin towards the Soza thought pattern....Noooooo! [smilie=a_rolling.gif]

Darn it! :-?

My Clyde is fully accepted by all neighbours, they have even bought ear plugs :lol: , climbed over that hill & gotten over his 2am full moon crowing even [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif] , I've been fully blessed with lovely neighbours.

Love my new location wee.

Last edited by Chicka-Dee on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.