AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Tomato and Basil Muffins
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:40 pm 

Here is the recipe for my tomato and Basil Muffins (i got it out of a book but shhh.... lets not got there )

Ingredients:
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
320g plain flour
2 tbsp baking powder
pinch of salt
4 lightly beaten eggs
125ml olive oil
320g tin condensed tomato soup
3tbsp sun-dried tomatos

Method:
preheat the oven to 175 degrees/ gas 4

In a medium bowl, mix the basil, flour, baking powder and salt with a spoon.

In a large bowl, combine the eggs, olive oil, soup and sun-dried tomatoes with an electric whisk until well combined. Mix the flour mixture into the soup mixture until just combined. Spoon the mixture into a muffin tin. Bake for 20 min.

Makes 1 dozen

There are a few variations:
. adding 100g of grated mozzarella cheese to the soup mixture.

. substituting 2 tbsp of fresh marjoram for the basil

. substituting 2 tbsp of fresh chives for the basil

Very scrumptious if i do say so myself ... very easy to make :-D

Post subject: yummy
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:56 pm 

All these recipes sound yummy. Here is a quick one I make when I am pressed for time.

chicken pieces (can also use any poulty, goose, turkey etc)
put in bakeing dish add 2 cups water and sprinkle genourously with veggeta. cover with foil and put in oven on 180' for 1hr
serve with rice and veg.

preparation time is less then 15min and everyone in the family can eat this one even the baby.
Kata :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:11 pm 

heres a recipie for a soup thing i made my birds today baiscly anything you have at home in a pot of boiling water with rice.

2 diced carrots
2 diced tomatoes
1 cup of rice
1 chicken stock
1 table spoon of chilli
1 table spoon of garlic
some lettuce leaves
2 diced mushroomsinto a boiling pot of water and then surve in a bowl(once cooled down)

you can add or subtract any thing but thats the one i made this morning

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:06 pm 

Any body have some good recipe ideas for use with a slow cooker?????
Just got one the other day and thought I would ask for any good ole home style stuff kinda like "mum" used to make..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:19 pm 

I made Pea and Ham soup in our slow cooker yesterday. Woolworths, Coles and IGA all have bacon Bones for $4.98/kg this week. WOW also has Bacon Hocks for $4.98. I chose bones because I figured hocks have that layer of fat on them. I'm still not sure it was the best decision.

I'll keep an eye on where your question leads. I might be preparing a chook or two in the coming weeks, certainly within a few months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:27 pm 

Thanks Greenaus, was thinking of doing pea & ham. From when we used to do it in kitchens, we used hocks & double smoked bones as well for more flavour, that could be a hint for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:53 pm 

Thanks for that. The flavour was ok, actually. I just wasn't sure whether I'd have got more meat from the hocks.

The main issue I had using the slow cooker was unlike most slow cooker dishes Pea and Ham soup required me to keep a VERY close eye on the water level. It was perhaps minutes from the point of no return when I first noticed. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:34 pm 

Chicken casserole in slow cooker:-

Ingredients:
1 ¼ lbs/ 550 g Skinless chicken thighs or drumsticks
4 -5 Medium potatoes, cut bite size
4 medium carrots, cut bite size
1 large chopped onion
2 cups hot water
1 tbsp chicken stock powder
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp thyme
½ tsp liquid gravy browner

Method:
Place layers of potato, carrots, and onion in slow cooker. Place chicken thighs on top of vegetables.
Stir remaining ingredients together in bowl. Pour over chicken. Cover, cook on Low for 9-10 hours or on High for 4 ½ - 5 hours in a crockpot/ slow cooker.

Serves 6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:36 pm 

Pot Roast in slow cooker:-

Ingredients:
4 medium potatoes cut into chunks
2 medium onions cut into good size cubes
4 Medium carrots, cut into thick slices
1 x 3 lb / 1.4 kg boneless beef blade roast (or similar)
½ / 125 ml boiling water
1 tsp / 5 ml beef stock powder
2 ½ cups of mixture of frozen beans / peas
For gravy:
2 tsps / 30 ml flour
1 tsp beef stock powder
salt / pepper to taste

Method:
Place potato, carrot and onion in bottom of 5 litre slow cooker.
Place the roast on top
Combine water and stock powder in small bowl, stir. Pour over the top of meat. Cover. Cook on Low for 10 – 12 hours or on High for 5 – 6 hours until tender.
Add the peas/ beans. Cover. Cook on High for 15 minutes.
Make the gravy in a saucepan with the remaining liquid. Serve with meal.

Serves 8 – 10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:39 pm 

Irish stew in slow cooker:-

Ingredients:
1 pound/ 450 g lamb for stew (cut into 1 ½ inch/ 3 - 4 cm pieces)
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
Pinch pepper
Oil
4 small onions, peeled
3 medium potatoes, cut in quarters
2 small carrots, cut into pieces
2 stalks celery with leaves cut into slices
1 small white turnip, cut into quarters
½ teaspoon salt
pinch pepper
1 cup hot water

Method:
Coat meat with a mixture of flour, 1 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Brown meat in oil in a skillet. Put browned meat into an electric cooker. Add vegetables, remaining slat and pepper and water, stir. Cover and cook on Low 10 – 12 hours.

About 4 servings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 31  Next