AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sexing Guinea Fowl - For the beginner.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:11 pm 

GG Member: Yes
I wondered the same as everyone that I have spoken to that has guinea fowl has never seen a male look like a female guinea fowl and some I met have over 100 and had them 40 years so they would know. I think bad diet has to be a factor if its true and filthy gross conditions also

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:33 am 

If they are not developing fully then yes could be very poor diet not enough protein. I have seen countless guinea fowl and like all the real breeders here never seen a male with flat under developed wattles but then all I have seen are healthy and well cared for.

Thanks for the kind words its good to read complements for honesty and fact.

NM I see a certain someones sliped back into bs chooks :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:04 am 

NightMare wrote:
Wow CG, you have out done yourself with so much detail. This is an honest high quality topic that will genuinely help people with sexing guinea fowl. The pictures and clip are excellent!

I have spoken to quality experienced fowl judges who say they are so easy to sex from 50 feet away with the obvious wattle differences, can you imagine waiting for one to 'call' so it can be sexed and judged sidesplit.gif sidesplit.gif As you say the experienced breeders only sex them by the wattles and its easy.

Can you imagine a judge wait an hour for a "call" :lol: :lol: :lol: no I can't, as you say the experienced judge will sex them at a glance like the real experienced breeders do

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:07 pm 

No not a decent judge he/she would take one look at the wattles and know ;) like anyone with an ounce of knowledge ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:58 am 

The guinea fowls are easier to sex than chickens they are so obvious I find young chooks harder to sex. I wonder if the people that can't sex guinea fowls do they wait for a rooster to crow to know its sex???

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:27 pm 

I doubt they can sex any bird type if guineas give them trouble :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:39 pm 

Funny how we put together a sensational guide on sexing Guinea Fowl and immediately others have one and not even a bulls roar as good or accurate just google c & p :lol: sidesplit.gif :lol: sidesplit.gif

Backstabbers may disagree ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:45 am 

Yes funny that sidesplit.gif and the BS is gone :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:30 am 

Silly boy :roll:

CG you know "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

At least ours is honest and accurate and viewed ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:24 am 

Okay, let's be honest. I think it's great that the guinea fowl in Australia are easy to sex by their wattles. This is an Australian forum, and I am sure that the information you provide here is what Aussies need to hear about their guineas. The problem I see with ridiculing those who have trouble identifying their guineas only by their wattles is that guinea fowl in other parts of the world can be difficult to sex, especially if they are not fully grown or haven't started to lay yet. Guinea fowl in the USA do have different types of wattles on both sexes. Case in point is that all of the male guineas that I have kept have not had the typical large cupped wattles that all Australian male guineas seem to have, and several of my females have been blessed with lovely large cupped wattles. I have to note that the males' wattles did appear to be thicker than the females in most instances, but their shapes were not always as have been described here. I have been able to tell the difference between the sexes by their casques/helmets, overall behavior, egg-laying, and by their calls. This is not an issue with diet, at least not with my guineas. They were fed well all throughout their long lives. One of my guineas lived to be 13 1/2 years old. I see that [flash] is not activated so I guess I'm not able to upload any photos from my computer? I don't know if I have any good pictures online that show my guineas' wattles, but I'll see if I can find any to help you understand what I'm talking about. The genes of the guineas in my country must be so muddled that we have all kinds of differences (not just in color) that you Aussies do not find in yours. I hope you will consider that fact in your discussions.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next