AUSTRALIAN POULTRY FORUM™

The Biggest Poultry Forum in the world
It is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Condes Crystals (potassium permanganate)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:21 am 

Hi All, Just wanting to know if Condes Crystals are beneficial for poultry and if so in what way will they help out feathered family. I have heard for worming, but not sure.

Take Care
Deb

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:11 pm 

Yeah, I look forward to the answer, too. I saw it mentioned yesterday.

We used to use it when making matchbox bombs. (Don't mix it with glycerin unless you're trying to make fire/smoke). And, for added points, throw some in someone's pool. I never did, but I've seen pools that had some added overnight -- like our pool as we were growing up. The pink colour stayed in the liner long after the water had been cleaned.

Now, back to chooks..what will Potassium Permanganate do for them and why?

I suspect that it would turn white feathers pink. :shock:

If it's helpful, I'll get some...then I can make matchbox bombs again. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:01 pm 

Oh my goodness, don't let my otherhalf see that, he is already a fire bug, we have condes in the cupboard that we got from the local produce store. We got it to bath a sore eye on one of the alpacas. Craig made it so strong and guess who was the lucky one that got to do the bathing. I should have worn gloves.
For a week or so after it I had very tanned hands. :shock:

I am sure the old timers used it for worms in poultry, but would like to make sure before I accidently poison my babies.

I did dye a plain turkeys neck once with magic silver white. Poor cha cha had a bit of a complex over that one. I loved that little lanky bird.

Take Care
Deb

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:23 pm 
­
­

Hi Deb, Condes Crystals was used in Poultry (2 or 3 drops) for general health and well being, these days Vitamins & Sulpha are the preferred choice of preventative.

P.S some breeders believed it was a good wormer, can't confirm that.

Thanks
P.A :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:46 pm 
TWO FACED
TWO FACED

Mum is standing beside me and she's just confirmed it ;) (Thanks Mum)

she said it's good for the canary's to ,

Actually a lot of the "Older Breeders" ;) swear by it . I know one old lady that starts all of her chickens on Condes water , just a pinch in the waterer

and I know plenty of other people that use it .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:54 pm 

Thanks PA and Ian, I will put a teensy few grains in the peachicks water once they arrive, but not to much. Will assess their condition first.

Take Care
Deb

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:12 pm 

Just a hint to guys.

Condy's can also be used to stop bleeding!! Great on spurs,nails etc etc. Not recommended for use on "open wounds" as it stings like all ****.

It is highly anti-bacterial so great for all those things. Been using them for over 20yrs in dog grooming salons to stop bleeding nails. But do your spurs etc at lest a few days before a show as it can takes a few days for the "condy scab" to fall off and wouldn't be pretty on a judges white coat :twisted:

Rabbit Breeds: Dwarf Lop, Californian, Netherland Dwarf, Polish, Rex, Dutch
http://www.kizma.webs.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:24 pm 

Thanks b&p I will remember that as I did have Miss Mina my laying hen had hurt her poor toe once and she was bleeding all over the place (she is ok now) but it would have been handy then.

I did put betadine spray on her to stop infection.

Take Care
Deb

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:31 pm 

Can you still buy condy's anymore :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:56 pm 

Hi Cooknut,

Yes you can buy condes from produce stores, not sure about chemists, but I bought some recently and it is not that expensive.

Take Care
Deb :)

Profile E-mail